Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

The Best SUV for the Money
By dcross15

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our 4Runner was purchased with 25,000 miles in 2004. It now has 171,000 miles and has required no repairs, other then tires, belts, and brakes. It is a monster in the snow, on the beach, and is very capable off road. With the factory installed towing package it tows my lifted Jeep Cherokee with ease. The 4.7L and an amazing transmission seem to give the car more power the it needs. I enjoy the way this thing drives more then most new SUVs. It still receives many compliments and comes across as a luxury SUV. The front seats could be more comfortable, and the seating position in the front is awkward. These things hold their value extremely well, and are well worth the money.

The V8 power, the towing capacity, the off roading capabilities, and the looks inside and out. The gas millage for a V8 with almost 200,000 miles is impressive.

More comfortable front seats.

BEST OF THE BEST
By techman8

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a mechanic for almost a decade and my opinion of the 4th Generation 4runner is ..IF YOU HAVE ONE, KEEP IT. These things are incredibly well built. Toyota is know as the all-around most reliable brand amongst cars worldwide but little did I know that buying a used 4runner with 230,000 miles would of taught me a lesson in how a true SUV should be. It's rock solid body-on-frame design is top notch. I also average an awesome 19 mpg/city which is really good for a heavy SUV. It's got all the power you want and delivers a great package of both handling, style, and comfort. I'm currently at 367,000 miles worry-free.

Quick Acceleration, Off Road Capability, Safety, Very Reliable, Low Maintenance Cost, Good MPG

Sunroof's rubber seal should be thicker to avoid noise.

Blown away by a used car
By graves2014

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was a long time BMW owner. I've had at least 4 over the past two decades, but I really liked my friend's 4Runner. I couldn't afford a new one, so I looked for a used one. Not an easy task. There are just not that many for sale. I can see why. ...My 03 V8 4runner is faster than my BMW. It's still very sharp inside and out. The extra utility was such a bonus. 4 guys and our golf clubs..? No problem. It's a whole different dynamic. I love it. Even with a lot more miles than I was originally comfortable with purchasing, after taking to my mechanic. I have total confidence in it. It's just a quality SUV. I recommend one to anybody. Paddleboard next? why not

Speed. Power. Looks.

Gas mileage

Great Quality Mid-size Truck
By wheatonbama

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 4runner for 11 years now with 156,000 miles and only had one major mechanical problem, which was replacement of gas tank fuel lines. Other than routine maintenance and wear and tear, the truck is great. I get really good gas mileage on the highway between 23 and 25 mpg even driving 70 mph on the hwy. In some instances I can get 27 mpg just driving 55 mph on cruise control. Hope to keep it for 300k and another 10 or 11 years. Oh yeah I use synthetic oil.

By far, this is the best SUV ever built.
By spacecowgirl

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 4Runner with about 80k miles in 2010 after my 2000 Blazer (which gave me nothing but grief, but that's another review) was totalled in an accident. I'd always wanted a 4Runner, but had settled for less expensive alternatives. When my Blazer died, I decided that my replacement would be a 4Runner, even if it had to be older. Four years later I am so happy with my decision. It now has over 140,000 miles, and still runs like new. It hasn't seen the inside of a shop for anything other than routine maintenance. It's comfortable, spacious but not too big, and capable in the city, off road and in snow. My only regret is not buying a 4Runner sooner!

The rolldown back window is perfect for dogs. Comfortable even during long trips. Pretty well appointed. Solidly built. Great looking. But most importantly: RELIABILITY!!!

Nothing, really.