Mechanically excellent "but"
By Sisu on
2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
4runners have an excellent rep. If you buy one and don't need 4wd, what's the purpose? We drive this car on the beach and in snow. Absolutely no problem, never. == (Con't). to get out of 4wd low. I have the six cylinder and it is a good engine around town or down the road. In my opinion it lacks a little power. If you have 4 men and bags and you want to engage highway traffic you need to stomp on it. I would not trailer anything heavy unless it is very local travel. The V8 maybe be a better option you be the judge. The seat is good if you are a normal size man, for me it doesn't provide enough support in the right places for a LONG trip. The AM radio is terrible - static.
Favorite Features
Enough technical features for 4wd, skid control, etc. And the options are in the drivers hands which I like. I can put it into full time 4wd or not. The Limited model has very nice features. I had a GMC Envoy I loved he 4wd system very smooth but to low to ground. The GMC was a latter year.
Suggested Improvements
Look I understand the 4runner is from the truck chassis but there are some things I don't like. I am a large man, not fat, 6'2" 230 lbs. The front seat is uncomfortable on long trips and it is tight. My head touches the roof. I've had 4wd's for many years, this one can be a little fussy (see above