2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Excellent Reliability & Utilit

2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Excellent Reliability & Utility
By Ryan on

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have 2WD Sport Edition in Thundercloud color. Bought used w/135k. Now have 145k miles. It's been totally reliable, except for one minor 4Runner weakness - that darned power antenna! I replaced it myself for about $25. Otherwise it's been perfect. Can be a bit bouncy on rough roads, but it is a truck after all. Found the seats a little uncomfortable for my legs the first 2 months, but now OK. The utility is perfect for me & love open-air feeling. Size is perfect for me, but might be tight for larger/heavier people (somewhat narrow vehicle). Nice seat fabric on Sport Edition! MPG avg: 20city/24hwy. Rides on Michelin LTX tires.

Roll-down rear window. Open air feeling w/ all windows down & sunroof open. Decent mpg for a truck (20/24). Responsive steering/suspension. Rock-solid reliability. Smooth engine/transmission. Love the design & Thundercloud color. Great seat fabric on Sport Edition, looks good & durable.

Power antenna WILL break at some point. A bit more settled ride would be good. Although I really like the seat fabric, it does "squeak" a little when you move around. Maybe it's the cushion below. Not a big deal, just seems odd that it does that.