Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Matt's 4Runner Review
By loumatt

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle, very reliable and sturdy. Uncomfortable ride on poor road surfaces which are common in the US. Rather thirsty on the gas, but great engine. Poor seat height adjustment. Cheap stereo, with speakers occasionally shorting. Some noises from front left suspension bushes over bumps since new. Minor brake problems not able to be rectified by dealer in New Orleans, with 2 attempts(Lakeside Toyota). Will purchase other Japanese brand next due to ugliness of new 4Runner model. Overall, however, 2002 4Runner Sport is a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Engine smoothness and reliability. Vehicle well put together

Suggested Improvements

Better seat height adjustments; Better stereo. Ability for dual battery installation. Prefer international Land Cruiser Prado model and features.

Perfect SUV for your needs
By adman102

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After about three weeks and 1000 miles with this SUV, I'm very impressed! Gas mileage has been in the lower 20's, impressive for an SUV. Interior and exterior fit and finish is excellent. It pulls a 3,500 lb. boat very well. I'm 6'3" and leg room is adequate, as is head and shoulder room. The 4Runner steers and handles tightly, almost car like. So far, this is the great vehicle it's been touted to be! It has all the features I wanted without some I didn't.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks are awesome. Sunroof. Rear heat. Seat comfort. Interior layout. Engine power is adequate.

Suggested Improvements

Floor height is high, making getting in and out difficult for some.

4Runner Ltd 4WD
By Rockpik

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Toyota 4Runner LTD 4WD and I am planning on getting another this year. Handling is outstanding. Fixtures and fittings excellent. Reliability is outstanding. Not had 1 problem with either of mine - 1999 or 2002.

Favorite Features

4WD, comfort, reliability, safety, handling, CD changer, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a larger gas tank. Driver seat belt needs to be placed more forward by a couple of inches so seat belt doesn't ride up under my right arm.

Reliable and Solid
By SHICKS

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2002 sr5 for 2 years problem free. I have 35k miles and it runs and drives like day one. No squeaks or rattles anywhere. Only one complaint aside from it being outdated, but I knew that when I bought it. The engine is weak. It is very smooth and has good low end torque, but lacks on the highway. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a rugged truck like suv.

Favorite Features

Build quality, ruggedness, highway ride

Suggested Improvements

more power

Toyota Nut
By Saint79

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle was a great transition form college to our new family. I like the truck like ride and feel of the 4 Runner.

Favorite Features

Rear glass on hatch is a powered window

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a bit dated