Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

A Great SUV
By Howie

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After having the suv for more than 3 years, I find no major problem with the car. The only thing is that the car tend to shake a little when breaking. I asked the dealer to look into the problem and they said its just the surface of the break pad is either dirty or uneven. To fix the problem I need to replace the whole break pad which can cost over $200. So I am just gonna leave it alone until its time for new ones. Otherwise no other major problems. The car runs great and its so much fun to drive. Its also got a great look but the new 2003 model looks a lot better.

Sit up high so I can get a great view. Also I love the power the car's got.

Brakes!

4Runnin
By ChiefJoJo74

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner in September of 2002 (one of the last of it's generation). It's my first SUV, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. The ride is rough/firm, gas mileage isn't very good (18-23 mpg), and it's short on low end torque but... it's the best looking SUV out there in my opinion, is roomy without being too big to manuver in the city, has a great multi-mode 4WD system with traction/skid control (great for rain/snow), performs extremely well off-road, has good brakes, great ergonomics, and is very solidly built and reliable (no problems after 38k mi) and will probably last for well over 200k miles with good maintenance.

styling, perfect size SUV, 4WD system, off-road ability, solid construction, reliability

more horsepower and torque, better gas mileage, std. off-road pkg w/bigger stock tires (33")

4Runner.....one great car
By phil89

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got a 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD Sport Edition and I love it. The ride is trucklike and bumpy over washboard surfaces but the 4Runner can take almost anything you throw at it. The engine is smooth but it will leave you wanting more horses(one of the only faults). The braking is exceptional plus the traction and stability control helps me stay firmly on the road in bad conditions. The inside and outside styling is superb and in my opinion it is the best looking SUV on the market. Average fuel economy for an older SUV about 17-21 in my experiance.

HUGE SUNROOF!, Good looking Hood Scoop, Comfortable Sport Seats, High Ground Clearance, locking differential, Role down Rear Window.

Some people would want more power but the engine is fine for me.

Fun to drive
By widow25

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle - it's reliable, both maintenance and durability wise. They could have done a little bit better with mpg and the horsepower. I think those are really the two major areas it was lacking in, but other than that I think it's a great car just like the rest of the models Toyota makes. Now the interior... I accept it's a little outdated but it's not that bad; they should had put a better stereo system on it. Exterior wise I think Toyota did a great job.

Sliding rear window, Fog lights, Scoop hood

Gas mileage, Horsepower, A better Sound System,and maybe a third row seat.

Why I Buy Toyota
By hopdevil

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, following a 2WD pickup and a '98 Tacoma. The great thing with Toyota's is that you get exactly what you expect. They don't have as much power as other brands and they're not as big on creating a luxury interior, but that's not what I look for in a depreciating asset. Like my other Toyotas, routine maintenance is all I ever have to do and that saves me thousands of $'s over friends with other brand vehicles. The only expenses after 76,000 miles are a set of tires, pair of rotors, some oil, and some windshield wipers. It still even has the original brake pads. The vehicle is superbly engineered, handles off- road situations very well, and is great in snow and rain.

Superb 4WD system, reliability, and looks great

More power(new 4runner has solved that), better stereo system, better HVAC(An automatic thermostat would be great)