Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Toyota Money pit
By Mike Engler

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built, solid car. At 165,000 it is free of rattles and squeeks. That is the only good news about this vehicle. Mine is a mechanical nightmare. I have driven an average of 47000 highway miles per year since 1989, and usually keep my vehicles until they hit 150000-17500 miles. A list of previous cars: 1989 Taurus, 1992 T-bird, 1995 T-bird, 1996 Jeep cherokee, 1999 Grand Cherokee. Never had to replace a Transmission in any of those. The Toyota's lasted 80000 miles. Other firsts: Radiator fan and water pump at 100000 miles, 4 wheel drive Actuator(s) at 165000 miles (another $1900). Average trip to the dealer costs $1000. I'll be trading this fine vehicle ASAP. Buyers beware

Favorite Features

None

Great vehicle!
By Luis

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle! I've had it for over 3 years and 80k miles and not one single repair (knock on wood). The only work done on it has been changing the fluids and a new set of tires last month. It represents Toyota's quality at its best. The only complaint is that the interior is somewhat small compared to other SUVs.

Favorite Features

Very low maintainance.

Suggested Improvements

Make it roomier (which was done the following year)

Not for gravel roads
By Finn

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle because we live in the mountains and need a lot of ground clearance and off road handling. The only area in which this car has disappointed me is in it's off road handling, which unfortunately in our situation, is a huge chunk of time. When we purchased this vehicle we were aware of it's "truck like chassis" but this car is downright scary to drive on our gravel (sometime washboard) roads. I'm not going any faster than 20-25 miles per hour, usually less. This car fish tails or skids over the slightest washboard. I have talked to other people in this area with the same problem.

Favorite Features

Love the looks, but obviously doesn't take precedence over safety. Travels well in snow.

3rd Gen 4Runner
By John

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

IMHO... 4Runners are the best mid sized SUV on the road. My 3rd generation 4Runner has noticably more power and creature comforts. The only prob I've noticed (hence my build quality descrepancy)is the door seals. Drivers and rear passenger molding does not fit right. Local dealer just shrugs and says I can get a new set of molding for more than I'm willing to pay. Oh well... great truck.. just wish I'd held out for 4X4.

Great Truck
By glevin

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle, and I wanted something that had 4 wheel drive for Michigan winters, but only part time so I could switch it off when not needed. I needed a vehicle which was dependable, and would look as good going across a muddy dirt road, or pulling up to a nice restaurant. This truck fits the bill in every way. I'm a little over 50k, and I have yet to have a problem (other then a flat tire). Toyota quality wins me over again.

Favorite Features

I love the looks, shift on the fly four wheel drive, and rear window that goes down.

Suggested Improvements

I sometimes wish it had more power, but there is a supercharger available, and now a V-8 for the '05 model year