Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Reliability in unbelievable
By Kim

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4 runner for quite sometime now and have paid it off now. Out of all cars I have owned, including a BMW M3, reliability is outstanding on this vehicle. It has never, ever broken down on me. I put synthetic oil in it, and it purrs. I love my 4 Runner. A good choice for women who know nothing about vehicles, it never breaks down.

Its sportiness, it looks mean coming down the street. Not bulky.

Well, I have my SR5 loaded with leather, wood grain, running boards. The only thing, is the wood grain is tarnishing. A lighted visor would be good since everyone likes looking at themselves once in awhile.

Our 3rd Toyota
By mtbenge

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought after having this car for three years I would be wanting something different. I love this vehicle. Even for 2002 it looked dated, but we could not have done better for an SUV; got character though! The 4Runner has always stood out in design, ability, and reliabliity. Though it is not the most comfortable for long road trips it cannot be beat for hauling around all my equipment and the occasional off-road excursion. The traction and skid control are great. I can see driving my Runner around for at least three more years; even though I do like the new ones as well. As far as ride is concerned we just put on new tires - Michelin XTSes. I am really amazed how much better the ride

All the Sports Edition upgrades - better rear diff, larger brakes, larger tires, hood scoop, and leather steering wheel.Traction and skid control are favs. Great color - Thunder Cloud - a nice dark silver/gray. No other vehicles with it.

Interior space larger, bertter ride, more HP. I believe all these were addressed in the remodeled '03

Toyota Money pit
By Mike Engler

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built, solid car. At 165,000 it is free of rattles and squeeks. That is the only good news about this vehicle. Mine is a mechanical nightmare. I have driven an average of 47000 highway miles per year since 1989, and usually keep my vehicles until they hit 150000-17500 miles. A list of previous cars: 1989 Taurus, 1992 T-bird, 1995 T-bird, 1996 Jeep cherokee, 1999 Grand Cherokee. Never had to replace a Transmission in any of those. The Toyota's lasted 80000 miles. Other firsts: Radiator fan and water pump at 100000 miles, 4 wheel drive Actuator(s) at 165000 miles (another $1900). Average trip to the dealer costs $1000. I'll be trading this fine vehicle ASAP. Buyers beware

None

Great vehicle!
By Luis

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle! I've had it for over 3 years and 80k miles and not one single repair (knock on wood). The only work done on it has been changing the fluids and a new set of tires last month. It represents Toyota's quality at its best. The only complaint is that the interior is somewhat small compared to other SUVs.

Very low maintainance.

Make it roomier (which was done the following year)

Not for gravel roads
By Finn

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle because we live in the mountains and need a lot of ground clearance and off road handling. The only area in which this car has disappointed me is in it's off road handling, which unfortunately in our situation, is a huge chunk of time. When we purchased this vehicle we were aware of it's "truck like chassis" but this car is downright scary to drive on our gravel (sometime washboard) roads. I'm not going any faster than 20-25 miles per hour, usually less. This car fish tails or skids over the slightest washboard. I have talked to other people in this area with the same problem.

Love the looks, but obviously doesn't take precedence over safety. Travels well in snow.