Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By Mitch

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 4Runner since new. Four years and 75k miles later I have to say I don't regret the purchase one bit. My 4Runner has been very reliable and I haven't had a single problem with it. Routine mx is all that has been required and I usually stretch that out. It rides like a truck, which I like. The 4x4 is outstanding on the snow and ice. The only complaint of course is the gas mileage (16/21ish mpg). It doesn't run as well on 87 grade fuel. But I knew all this when buying the vehicle. I highly recommend!

Happy
By Marcus Demagio

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this 4Runner for only a month. I like the feel of quality and I feel safe in it. My only quible is that the gas mileage is not better. Besides that I could drive it all day long!

The looks are astounding! Every one at work thinks so.

Gas mileage. 16 and 19 are poor..

Wife Loves It
By Steve

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2002 Altima on the 4Runner as I wanted more protecton for my wife with the way the idiots drive down here in Florida. She was not happy at first but loves the car now. No problems at all rides higher so she can see better. Toyota quality speaks for itself.

Reliability etc etc.

None really as my wife just wants a car that starts and stops and really all the issues with space and power have already been addressed with the new model.

Reliability in unbelievable
By Kim

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4 runner for quite sometime now and have paid it off now. Out of all cars I have owned, including a BMW M3, reliability is outstanding on this vehicle. It has never, ever broken down on me. I put synthetic oil in it, and it purrs. I love my 4 Runner. A good choice for women who know nothing about vehicles, it never breaks down.

Its sportiness, it looks mean coming down the street. Not bulky.

Well, I have my SR5 loaded with leather, wood grain, running boards. The only thing, is the wood grain is tarnishing. A lighted visor would be good since everyone likes looking at themselves once in awhile.

Our 3rd Toyota
By mtbenge

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought after having this car for three years I would be wanting something different. I love this vehicle. Even for 2002 it looked dated, but we could not have done better for an SUV; got character though! The 4Runner has always stood out in design, ability, and reliabliity. Though it is not the most comfortable for long road trips it cannot be beat for hauling around all my equipment and the occasional off-road excursion. The traction and skid control are great. I can see driving my Runner around for at least three more years; even though I do like the new ones as well. As far as ride is concerned we just put on new tires - Michelin XTSes. I am really amazed how much better the ride

All the Sports Edition upgrades - better rear diff, larger brakes, larger tires, hood scoop, and leather steering wheel.Traction and skid control are favs. Great color - Thunder Cloud - a nice dark silver/gray. No other vehicles with it.

Interior space larger, bertter ride, more HP. I believe all these were addressed in the remodeled '03