Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Our 3rd Toyota
By mtbenge

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought after having this car for three years I would be wanting something different. I love this vehicle. Even for 2002 it looked dated, but we could not have done better for an SUV; got character though! The 4Runner has always stood out in design, ability, and reliabliity. Though it is not the most comfortable for long road trips it cannot be beat for hauling around all my equipment and the occasional off-road excursion. The traction and skid control are great. I can see driving my Runner around for at least three more years; even though I do like the new ones as well. As far as ride is concerned we just put on new tires - Michelin XTSes. I am really amazed how much better the ride

Favorite Features

All the Sports Edition upgrades - better rear diff, larger brakes, larger tires, hood scoop, and leather steering wheel.Traction and skid control are favs. Great color - Thunder Cloud - a nice dark silver/gray. No other vehicles with it.

Suggested Improvements

Interior space larger, bertter ride, more HP. I believe all these were addressed in the remodeled '03

Excellent Reliability & Utility
By Ryan

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have 2WD Sport Edition in Thundercloud color. Bought used w/135k. Now have 145k miles. It's been totally reliable, except for one minor 4Runner weakness - that darned power antenna! I replaced it myself for about $25. Otherwise it's been perfect. Can be a bit bouncy on rough roads, but it is a truck after all. Found the seats a little uncomfortable for my legs the first 2 months, but now OK. The utility is perfect for me & love open-air feeling. Size is perfect for me, but might be tight for larger/heavier people (somewhat narrow vehicle). Nice seat fabric on Sport Edition! MPG avg: 20city/24hwy. Rides on Michelin LTX tires.

Favorite Features

Roll-down rear window. Open air feeling w/ all windows down & sunroof open. Decent mpg for a truck (20/24). Responsive steering/suspension. Rock-solid reliability. Smooth engine/transmission. Love the design & Thundercloud color. Great seat fabric on Sport Edition, looks good & durable.

Suggested Improvements

Power antenna WILL break at some point. A bit more settled ride would be good. Although I really like the seat fabric, it does "squeak" a little when you move around. Maybe it's the cushion below. Not a big deal, just seems odd that it does that.

Great Vehicle
By PNA

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2002 4 Runner Sport with added leather interior, and all the bolt on exterior goodies for my high school son in new 2002. I drove it during his first year in college since he could not have a car on campus. I thought it was great; very honest vehicle. I have owned five Toyotas and this is the best for reliability. The vehicle now has 66,000 miles, never had anything wrong, not even a rattle. Just normal maintenance. The best news, he is purchasing a new car and he is giving the 4 Runner to me. I am sure he will miss it.

Favorite Features

What you see is what you get. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Good looking vehicle; doesn't look like other suvs. Last year of this look. The 2003s onward look like other suvs.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bit more horsepower.

Would by another one in a heartbeat
By clowbell99

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 32K miles on it, it now has 165K miles on it. It has been the most reliable vehicle. I have owned. I have taken it on many road trips, and it has never failed me. Driving over pot holes and speed bumps it is a rough ride. But since that is on a rare occasion, over all I am pleased. I have leather, and after 8 years of wear and tear, it does need to be replaced. It is just now starting to show it's age, and even then it is still a good looking vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite is the sun roof and the reliability

Suggested Improvements

I believe there are a few things that have already been improved from the edition. One being that it is not for taller people, and the rough ride.

Reliability in unbelievable
By Kim

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4 runner for quite sometime now and have paid it off now. Out of all cars I have owned, including a BMW M3, reliability is outstanding on this vehicle. It has never, ever broken down on me. I put synthetic oil in it, and it purrs. I love my 4 Runner. A good choice for women who know nothing about vehicles, it never breaks down.

Favorite Features

Its sportiness, it looks mean coming down the street. Not bulky.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I have my SR5 loaded with leather, wood grain, running boards. The only thing, is the wood grain is tarnishing. A lighted visor would be good since everyone likes looking at themselves once in awhile.