2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Toyota Money pit
By Mike Engler on 12/14/05 22:00 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built, solid car. At 165,000 it is free of rattles and squeeks. That is the only good news about this vehicle. Mine is a mechanical nightmare. I have driven an average of 47000 highway miles per year since 1989, and usually keep my vehicles until they hit 150000-17500 miles. A list of previous cars: 1989 Taurus, 1992 T-bird, 1995 T-bird, 1996 Jeep cherokee, 1999 Grand Cherokee. Never had to replace a Transmission in any of those. The Toyota's lasted 80000 miles. Other firsts: Radiator fan and water pump at 100000 miles, 4 wheel drive Actuator(s) at 165000 miles (another $1900). Average trip to the dealer costs $1000. I'll be trading this fine vehicle ASAP. Buyers beware

Great vehicle!
By Luis on 09/23/05 19:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle! I've had it for over 3 years and 80k miles and not one single repair (knock on wood). The only work done on it has been changing the fluids and a new set of tires last month. It represents Toyota's quality at its best. The only complaint is that the interior is somewhat small compared to other SUVs.

Not for gravel roads
By Finn on 09/04/05 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle because we live in the mountains and need a lot of ground clearance and off road handling. The only area in which this car has disappointed me is in it's off road handling, which unfortunately in our situation, is a huge chunk of time. When we purchased this vehicle we were aware of it's "truck like chassis" but this car is downright scary to drive on our gravel (sometime washboard) roads. I'm not going any faster than 20-25 miles per hour, usually less. This car fish tails or skids over the slightest washboard. I have talked to other people in this area with the same problem.

3rd Gen 4Runner
By John on 09/02/05 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

IMHO... 4Runners are the best mid sized SUV on the road. My 3rd generation 4Runner has noticably more power and creature comforts. The only prob I've noticed (hence my build quality descrepancy)is the door seals. Drivers and rear passenger molding does not fit right. Local dealer just shrugs and says I can get a new set of molding for more than I'm willing to pay. Oh well... great truck.. just wish I'd held out for 4X4.

Great Truck
By glevin on 08/30/05 13:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle, and I wanted something that had 4 wheel drive for Michigan winters, but only part time so I could switch it off when not needed. I needed a vehicle which was dependable, and would look as good going across a muddy dirt road, or pulling up to a nice restaurant. This truck fits the bill in every way. I'm a little over 50k, and I have yet to have a problem (other then a flat tire). Toyota quality wins me over again.

A Great SUV
By Howie on 06/29/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After having the suv for more than 3 years, I find no major problem with the car. The only thing is that the car tend to shake a little when breaking. I asked the dealer to look into the problem and they said its just the surface of the break pad is either dirty or uneven. To fix the problem I need to replace the whole break pad which can cost over $200. So I am just gonna leave it alone until its time for new ones. Otherwise no other major problems. The car runs great and its so much fun to drive. Its also got a great look but the new 2003 model looks a lot better.

4Runnin
By ChiefJoJo74 on 05/23/05 17:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner in September of 2002 (one of the last of it's generation). It's my first SUV, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. The ride is rough/firm, gas mileage isn't very good (18-23 mpg), and it's short on low end torque but... it's the best looking SUV out there in my opinion, is roomy without being too big to manuver in the city, has a great multi-mode 4WD system with traction/skid control (great for rain/snow), performs extremely well off-road, has good brakes, great ergonomics, and is very solidly built and reliable (no problems after 38k mi) and will probably last for well over 200k miles with good maintenance.

4Runner.....one great car
By phil89 on 03/16/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got a 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD Sport Edition and I love it. The ride is trucklike and bumpy over washboard surfaces but the 4Runner can take almost anything you throw at it. The engine is smooth but it will leave you wanting more horses(one of the only faults). The braking is exceptional plus the traction and stability control helps me stay firmly on the road in bad conditions. The inside and outside styling is superb and in my opinion it is the best looking SUV on the market. Average fuel economy for an older SUV about 17-21 in my experiance.

Fun to drive
By widow25 on 01/06/05 13:55 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle - it's reliable, both maintenance and durability wise. They could have done a little bit better with mpg and the horsepower. I think those are really the two major areas it was lacking in, but other than that I think it's a great car just like the rest of the models Toyota makes. Now the interior... I accept it's a little outdated but it's not that bad; they should had put a better stereo system on it. Exterior wise I think Toyota did a great job.

Why I Buy Toyota
By hopdevil on 12/13/04 16:29 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Toyota, following a 2WD pickup and a '98 Tacoma. The great thing with Toyota's is that you get exactly what you expect. They don't have as much power as other brands and they're not as big on creating a luxury interior, but that's not what I look for in a depreciating asset. Like my other Toyotas, routine maintenance is all I ever have to do and that saves me thousands of $'s over friends with other brand vehicles. The only expenses after 76,000 miles are a set of tires, pair of rotors, some oil, and some windshield wipers. It still even has the original brake pads. The vehicle is superbly engineered, handles off- road situations very well, and is great in snow and rain.