2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
A Tough SUV
By tree_guy_bob on 08/14/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '02 4Runner 4WD Limited when it was about 2 years old. I purchased from an acquaintance who I knew took virtually perfect care of all of his vehicles. I purchased this 4Runner as I am one of the very few folks who truly needs 4WD and uses it regularly. I had had previous positive experiences with Toyota 4WD vehicles, and liked the aspects of balance, ground clearance, true box frame, two speed transfer case... in short, I wanted a small truck. So far, so good. My 4Runner still looks and runs virtually like new. Oil changes with Mobil 1 every 5K, plus meticulous maintenance will hopefully allow this vehicle to last for many years.

Can You Beat A Toyota?
By B Sarlo on 06/23/07 04:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

There are very few SUVs that can really match the 4Runner. The 4Runner is very reliable, and designed to perform at peak performance. That's why I keep coming back to Toyota. Bottom line: they don't break down like some vehicles. That's been my experience. Advice: take care of vehicle and it will take of you for a wonderful ride across America.

Dream Truck
By D john on 01/29/07 14:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I use the truck for daily driving. It is rock solid. I also drive 270 miles to family several times a year and the trip is comfy. I travel in fields while towing and travel down poorly maintained dirt roads. So I cover a lot of different terrains and the truck functions. Interstate travel is quiet, the transmission shifts smoothly. Off road and dirt roads the truck performs well.

Why did I buy a 4Runner?
By brock1313 on 08/27/06 12:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 4Runner has been more trouble than it is worth. Between faulty stereos (I'm up to three now), the paint peeling off the front bumper (which Toyota will not consider a factory defect), and the vibration problems, I am wondering if I just got a lemon or if Toyota's high ranking for quality is nothing but a bunch of hype. I can say that if I don't get these problems resolved soon that I will get rid of that albatross and get something more dependable and mechanically sound.

I can recommend 4 runner
By P51DMustang on 08/10/06 15:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used 02. It's solid and very well built. Fun to drive and trouble free.

Great SUV
By Mitch on 08/05/06 07:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 4Runner since new. Four years and 75k miles later I have to say I don't regret the purchase one bit. My 4Runner has been very reliable and I haven't had a single problem with it. Routine mx is all that has been required and I usually stretch that out. It rides like a truck, which I like. The 4x4 is outstanding on the snow and ice. The only complaint of course is the gas mileage (16/21ish mpg). It doesn't run as well on 87 grade fuel. But I knew all this when buying the vehicle. I highly recommend!

Happy
By Marcus Demagio on 04/13/06 16:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this 4Runner for only a month. I like the feel of quality and I feel safe in it. My only quible is that the gas mileage is not better. Besides that I could drive it all day long!

Wife Loves It
By Steve on 03/17/06 16:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2002 Altima on the 4Runner as I wanted more protecton for my wife with the way the idiots drive down here in Florida. She was not happy at first but loves the car now. No problems at all rides higher so she can see better. Toyota quality speaks for itself.

Reliability in unbelievable
By Kim on 02/23/06 21:25 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4 runner for quite sometime now and have paid it off now. Out of all cars I have owned, including a BMW M3, reliability is outstanding on this vehicle. It has never, ever broken down on me. I put synthetic oil in it, and it purrs. I love my 4 Runner. A good choice for women who know nothing about vehicles, it never breaks down.

Our 3rd Toyota
By mtbenge on 02/14/06 23:41 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought after having this car for three years I would be wanting something different. I love this vehicle. Even for 2002 it looked dated, but we could not have done better for an SUV; got character though! The 4Runner has always stood out in design, ability, and reliabliity. Though it is not the most comfortable for long road trips it cannot be beat for hauling around all my equipment and the occasional off-road excursion. The traction and skid control are great. I can see driving my Runner around for at least three more years; even though I do like the new ones as well. As far as ride is concerned we just put on new tires - Michelin XTSes. I am really amazed how much better the ride