Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Here's a looker
By ALooker

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota 4 runner is overall a great car. I have 61,700 miles on it and I drive it to work daily. The ride is rough on poorly maintained roads typical for a truck frame. Over speed bumps, dips or potholes will give you whiplash. If you test drive it use a parking lot with speed bumps you'll see why. Very very reliable car, replaced the power antenna 1x (costly), this car runs great, tough as an ox, and purrs like a golden lion.

It's a looker. Square, chrome bumpers, beautiful, bling bling... Inside tough fabric seats, fold down the back seats and you can load up a dining table with chairs and more. Love the roll down back window. Rides high. Had many offers from strangers who wanted to buy my car. Nope, no sale.

The ride is very rough like a truck, not too comfortable. After my surgery had to drive really slow especially over bumps. Gas mileage could be better. 19 MPG in the city.

Great Truck
By Richard

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was very upset with Toyota because I found out after purchasing my '95 4Runner with the 3.0 that there was a known problem with head gaskets but they did not recall for that year. They made up for it with my 2002. Toyota gave me more than I expected for my trade (even knowing the head gaskets were about to go) and sold this one to me at low book. It's been a great truck. Rides great, fun off-road, reliable. I'm going to lift this baby up, add bigger tires, and give myself more clearance since it climbs very well over rocks and boulders. My 15 year old is waiting for me to give it to him when he turns 16. Too bad, so sad. He'll have to buy his own. I'm keeping mine.

Pretty much everything. It's my all in one form of transportation that takes me everywhere from work, to the my favorite surf spot, and into the hills.

Go back to 15" rims. 16" makes for a very expensive tire. Other than that, I'm happy. Zero repairs at over 145K miles to date.

Good value truck
By mike!!!!!!!!

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner new with the sports package that includes running boards, hood scoop, bumper plate, etc. I have had no problems with it and it performs very good offroad. I highly recommend getting one with 4wd, which makes it much funner to drive.

Outside appearance, off road capability, seat comfort/design

Fuel economy is just average and could use a bit more horsepower (instead of 184, maybe 200/201) would be good

02 4Runner a sweet deal
By Yota Fan

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new from my local dealer in March 2002. The vehicle is the SE model and has been a real value. This was the last year Toyota built the 4Runner for American sales solely in Japan. That is a real plus! Great in the snow and fun to drive on vacation. Overall a great value and would do it over again.

Push button 4WD. 12v auxiliary port rear cargo area. Paint job is A-1.

Well it has been 6 years but if I were and engineer in 2002 I would have done a larger console and larger more wrap around seats. Rear seating air/heat ducts with passenger control.

Best SUV ever
By LOVEIT

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 4Runner is 6 yrs. old and has 162,000 miles on it, and it still purrs like a kitten. Absolutely the best SUV I have ever owned. Reliable beyond expectations, decent gas mileage for an SUV, comfortable ride, very utilitarian. I love the design, and wish they hadn't changed it so much in '03. I hope to own it another 6 yrs. or more!!

Reliability... other than routine maintenance, I have done nothing to the vehicle.

Really nothing that I can think of.