2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Bye Bye Explorer, Hello Quality
By Wild Weasel on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My previous two vehicles were Explorers. Each one ranks as junk next to the 4Runner. I cannot describe how much of a HUGE increase in quality this vehicle has been. I am so happy I bought this vehicle. I do not plan to ever sell it. My only complaint is that the driver's seat would go 1" lower, as I have a tall torso. But, that is not a big complaint. I would recommend this truck to anyone I like, the Explorer to anyone I don't like. I bought it now so I could order exactly what I wanted before the redesign. This has always been my favorite looking SUV, and everything else about it has fallen in line...

Almost perfect, but not quite
By Harve on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 4runner has a lovely ride. It's not at all truckish. However, it's no car. The 4runner is smooth and quiet on the road. It doesn't have quite the pep I'd sometimes like, but it's improving as the miles increase. The gas mileage is also a little disappointing, although we do manage to get an average of about 19 mpg around town. There is lots of room in the 4runner. We can have two kids' car seats in the back and not have to have the front seats forward. The room behind the rear seats is enormous and we have never needed additional space. In the winter the 4WD capabilities and additional electronic additions such as ABS, VSC, etc. really helped and gave a sense of confidence.

Still the Front Runner
By Malkee on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 4Runner epitomizes the definition of SUV without sacrificing the comforts of a luxury vehicle. This is my 2nd 4Runner and my 5th Toyota. You can't ever go wrong with Toyota, their quality, reliability, resale, and overall prices are untouchable.

A True Keeper
By KMW on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchase our first Toyota last year, and wish we would have done it sooner!!!!! We couldn't ask for a better vehicle. The reviews say "truck- like ride", they are so wrong, and we would know we also have a F-250; now that is a truck ride. The only drawback is the seats are a little small, but not too uncomfortable. Toyota has found a loyal consumer in us!!!!!!!!

Good Little Ride
By OrbDog on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my first 4Runner for two weeks now. My wife and I really like it. We had a loaded Montero SR, so we miss the amenities, but the 4Runner is more fun to drive. Some say it feels like a truck, I say it's responsive and it allows you to feel the road. Not mushy road fell like the other SUV's out there. The Sport Package makes it look original, and tougher than anything else on the market right now. The smaller engine it better than I thought it would be, but bigger would still be better. Great braking!

Just picked it up.
By sneuman on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased because of the great lease from Chase Bank on this car for 39 months. Check it out. Slower then my Radio but some nicer features such as sliding rear window, nicer leather, and more room. Warranty needs to be longer. Tons of room. Easy to use controls. My 2nd Toyota, I could fit my first one into the back.

The only "true" SUV
By bluejae on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd 4Runner and I still believe it is the best true SUV on the road. The reviews that say the ride is very "truck-like" are not rating my Runner. I have driven a number of SUV's on the road and can confirm that this is one of the best. I have never had a single problem with either of my Runner's and will remain a loyal Toyota customer based on my satisfaction.

Lovin' it!
By Ali on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've loved the 4Runner since it was a truck with a fiber glass top back in '84 and I'm positively loving it now. I love the ride height and it handles well with such a high center of Gravity. The ride feels like I'm gliding (my last SUV was a Jeep Cherokee so belive when I say this doesn't feel like a truck!) Interior is quality. Needs a touch better gas mileage and a more powerful engine.

Limited 99
By rogersd on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this product because there is not a more rugged SUV on the market. It drives live a truck, but that is what makes this durable long lasting truck what it is. Although, after driving American made SUV's the 4-Runner is a much more substantial, sturdy, squeek free vehicle. It feels less "loosy goosy" than the Explorer. Fit and finish is what sold me on the 4-Runner. The 4-Runner is not as plasticy as the competition. Toyota knows how to make good vehicles, that is what I paid for. I could have spend what I did for an RX300, but they are really different vehicles all together.

Time to Redesign
By whatsup on 03/16/02 19:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Has this design been around for what seems like 15 years now. For today's standards, this SUV is underpowered. The interior is very tight especially the width and lack of rear legroom. The ride is rough. Unless you offroad, forget it.