Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Amazing!
By holdem185

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a 4runner and I finally got one for Christmas. It drives awesome! It's so smooth and quiet. Gets up and goes taking off from a stop light unlike my old car. Roomy front seats, comfy leather seats. Just an amazing car! Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, Smooth ride, Roomy cabin, Back window rolls down

Suggested Improvements

None

Great SUV
By Michelle

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV! Bought new. I'm still driving 8 yrs later and 120K miles. Only problem was the tail light bulb seems to go every other year which got me a ticket :( Mechanically very sound, well built, still runs like the day I purchased. I've replaced the water pump/timing belt only due to miles. I get 17-19 mpg in city and 23+ on open highway. I do agree with the others though that the ride can be a bit bumpy, slightly larger tires seems help with that a bit. Cost to own very good at 25K new in 2002, retail today in mint condition is $8-9K. Not bad at all! Debating whether to trade in only due to mileage and mpg.

Favorite Features

Sporty body style, just high up enough to see well over other cars, but not too high for a shorter person to get into. Rear windows opens and closes which helps pull the A/C through quicker on those really hot days.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother ride, quality of basic sound system.

Love this truck!!!
By 4runner_momma

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I LOVE this truck! Toyota builds the best vehicles on the road and my 4Runner is no exception. It gets me where I need to go, keeps my kid safe, and does all this without asking anything in return of me except regular maintenance, and new tires! I do wish it has a few more creature comforts...softer chairs (mine are leather), and latch restraints for the car seat, but all of this is addressed on the next generation. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this truck, and I am sure my daughter (9 mo. old) will be driving this when she turns 16! It will need a new paint job by then though...

Favorite Features

Great looking, auto windows, sun roof, and well built.

Suggested Improvements

Latch restrains for car seat, and a little roomier in the cabin.

Great Vehicle
By PNA

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2002 4 Runner Sport with added leather interior, and all the bolt on exterior goodies for my high school son in new 2002. I drove it during his first year in college since he could not have a car on campus. I thought it was great; very honest vehicle. I have owned five Toyotas and this is the best for reliability. The vehicle now has 66,000 miles, never had anything wrong, not even a rattle. Just normal maintenance. The best news, he is purchasing a new car and he is giving the 4 Runner to me. I am sure he will miss it.

Favorite Features

What you see is what you get. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Good looking vehicle; doesn't look like other suvs. Last year of this look. The 2003s onward look like other suvs.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bit more horsepower.

Here's a looker
By ALooker

2002 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota 4 runner is overall a great car. I have 61,700 miles on it and I drive it to work daily. The ride is rough on poorly maintained roads typical for a truck frame. Over speed bumps, dips or potholes will give you whiplash. If you test drive it use a parking lot with speed bumps you'll see why. Very very reliable car, replaced the power antenna 1x (costly), this car runs great, tough as an ox, and purrs like a golden lion.

Favorite Features

It's a looker. Square, chrome bumpers, beautiful, bling bling... Inside tough fabric seats, fold down the back seats and you can load up a dining table with chairs and more. Love the roll down back window. Rides high. Had many offers from strangers who wanted to buy my car. Nope, no sale.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is very rough like a truck, not too comfortable. After my surgery had to drive really slow especially over bumps. Gas mileage could be better. 19 MPG in the city.