2002 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Amazing!
By holdem185 on 12/25/11 19:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a 4runner and I finally got one for Christmas. It drives awesome! It's so smooth and quiet. Gets up and goes taking off from a stop light unlike my old car. Roomy front seats, comfy leather seats. Just an amazing car! Highly recommend.

Great SUV
By Michelle on 05/23/10 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV! Bought new. I'm still driving 8 yrs later and 120K miles. Only problem was the tail light bulb seems to go every other year which got me a ticket :( Mechanically very sound, well built, still runs like the day I purchased. I've replaced the water pump/timing belt only due to miles. I get 17-19 mpg in city and 23+ on open highway. I do agree with the others though that the ride can be a bit bumpy, slightly larger tires seems help with that a bit. Cost to own very good at 25K new in 2002, retail today in mint condition is $8-9K. Not bad at all! Debating whether to trade in only due to mileage and mpg.

Love this truck!!!
By 4runner_momma on 11/25/09 07:52 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I LOVE this truck! Toyota builds the best vehicles on the road and my 4Runner is no exception. It gets me where I need to go, keeps my kid safe, and does all this without asking anything in return of me except regular maintenance, and new tires! I do wish it has a few more creature comforts...softer chairs (mine are leather), and latch restraints for the car seat, but all of this is addressed on the next generation. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this truck, and I am sure my daughter (9 mo. old) will be driving this when she turns 16! It will need a new paint job by then though...

Great Vehicle
By PNA on 02/08/09 05:47 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2002 4 Runner Sport with added leather interior, and all the bolt on exterior goodies for my high school son in new 2002. I drove it during his first year in college since he could not have a car on campus. I thought it was great; very honest vehicle. I have owned five Toyotas and this is the best for reliability. The vehicle now has 66,000 miles, never had anything wrong, not even a rattle. Just normal maintenance. The best news, he is purchasing a new car and he is giving the 4 Runner to me. I am sure he will miss it.

Here's a looker
By ALooker on 12/08/08 17:46 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota 4 runner is overall a great car. I have 61,700 miles on it and I drive it to work daily. The ride is rough on poorly maintained roads typical for a truck frame. Over speed bumps, dips or potholes will give you whiplash. If you test drive it use a parking lot with speed bumps you'll see why. Very very reliable car, replaced the power antenna 1x (costly), this car runs great, tough as an ox, and purrs like a golden lion.

Excellent Reliability & Utility
By Ryan on 06/16/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have 2WD Sport Edition in Thundercloud color. Bought used w/135k. Now have 145k miles. It's been totally reliable, except for one minor 4Runner weakness - that darned power antenna! I replaced it myself for about $25. Otherwise it's been perfect. Can be a bit bouncy on rough roads, but it is a truck after all. Found the seats a little uncomfortable for my legs the first 2 months, but now OK. The utility is perfect for me & love open-air feeling. Size is perfect for me, but might be tight for larger/heavier people (somewhat narrow vehicle). Nice seat fabric on Sport Edition! MPG avg: 20city/24hwy. Rides on Michelin LTX tires.

Ho Hum Reliable
By Rick on 03/07/08 05:56 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2002 2WD 4Runner based on reliablity history of Toyota. Nothing spectacular after 52,000 miles. Always starts, no major repairs - except the automatic radio antenna broke and needs to be repaired someday. Car is holding up well. Only regret is that I didn't buy a 4WD and sunroof, both would make the car better for me. Drives/handles like a truck - not the smoothest ride. Good visibility, no blind spots. Somewhat noisy on the road - even with new tires. Sometimes, I'd prefer to have a fun car with some pep, but my plan was to keep the 4Runner until I get to 200,000 miles.

Wife Loves It
By Steve on 03/17/06 16:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2002 Altima on the 4Runner as I wanted more protecton for my wife with the way the idiots drive down here in Florida. She was not happy at first but loves the car now. No problems at all rides higher so she can see better. Toyota quality speaks for itself.

Reliability in unbelievable
By Kim on 02/23/06 21:25 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4 runner for quite sometime now and have paid it off now. Out of all cars I have owned, including a BMW M3, reliability is outstanding on this vehicle. It has never, ever broken down on me. I put synthetic oil in it, and it purrs. I love my 4 Runner. A good choice for women who know nothing about vehicles, it never breaks down.

Our 3rd Toyota
By mtbenge on 02/14/06 23:41 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I thought after having this car for three years I would be wanting something different. I love this vehicle. Even for 2002 it looked dated, but we could not have done better for an SUV; got character though! The 4Runner has always stood out in design, ability, and reliabliity. Though it is not the most comfortable for long road trips it cannot be beat for hauling around all my equipment and the occasional off-road excursion. The traction and skid control are great. I can see driving my Runner around for at least three more years; even though I do like the new ones as well. As far as ride is concerned we just put on new tires - Michelin XTSes. I am really amazed how much better the ride