Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Amazing!
By holdem185

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a 4runner and I finally got one for Christmas. It drives awesome! It's so smooth and quiet. Gets up and goes taking off from a stop light unlike my old car. Roomy front seats, comfy leather seats. Just an amazing car! Highly recommend.

Comfortable seats, Smooth ride, Roomy cabin, Back window rolls down

None

Mechanically excellent "but"
By Sisu

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4runners have an excellent rep. If you buy one and don't need 4wd, what's the purpose? We drive this car on the beach and in snow. Absolutely no problem, never. == (Con't). to get out of 4wd low. I have the six cylinder and it is a good engine around town or down the road. In my opinion it lacks a little power. If you have 4 men and bags and you want to engage highway traffic you need to stomp on it. I would not trailer anything heavy unless it is very local travel. The V8 maybe be a better option you be the judge. The seat is good if you are a normal size man, for me it doesn't provide enough support in the right places for a LONG trip. The AM radio is terrible - static.

Enough technical features for 4wd, skid control, etc. And the options are in the drivers hands which I like. I can put it into full time 4wd or not. The Limited model has very nice features. I had a GMC Envoy I loved he 4wd system very smooth but to low to ground. The GMC was a latter year.

Look I understand the 4runner is from the truck chassis but there are some things I don't like. I am a large man, not fat, 6'2" 230 lbs. The front seat is uncomfortable on long trips and it is tight. My head touches the roof. I've had 4wd's for many years, this one can be a little fussy (see above

Would by another one in a heartbeat
By clowbell99

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 32K miles on it, it now has 165K miles on it. It has been the most reliable vehicle. I have owned. I have taken it on many road trips, and it has never failed me. Driving over pot holes and speed bumps it is a rough ride. But since that is on a rare occasion, over all I am pleased. I have leather, and after 8 years of wear and tear, it does need to be replaced. It is just now starting to show it's age, and even then it is still a good looking vehicle.

My favorite is the sun roof and the reliability

I believe there are a few things that have already been improved from the edition. One being that it is not for taller people, and the rough ride.

Great SUV
By Michelle

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV! Bought new. I'm still driving 8 yrs later and 120K miles. Only problem was the tail light bulb seems to go every other year which got me a ticket :( Mechanically very sound, well built, still runs like the day I purchased. I've replaced the water pump/timing belt only due to miles. I get 17-19 mpg in city and 23+ on open highway. I do agree with the others though that the ride can be a bit bumpy, slightly larger tires seems help with that a bit. Cost to own very good at 25K new in 2002, retail today in mint condition is $8-9K. Not bad at all! Debating whether to trade in only due to mileage and mpg.

Sporty body style, just high up enough to see well over other cars, but not too high for a shorter person to get into. Rear windows opens and closes which helps pull the A/C through quicker on those really hot days.

Smoother ride, quality of basic sound system.

Love this truck!!!
By 4runner_momma

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I LOVE this truck! Toyota builds the best vehicles on the road and my 4Runner is no exception. It gets me where I need to go, keeps my kid safe, and does all this without asking anything in return of me except regular maintenance, and new tires! I do wish it has a few more creature comforts...softer chairs (mine are leather), and latch restraints for the car seat, but all of this is addressed on the next generation. Overall I am extremely satisfied with this truck, and I am sure my daughter (9 mo. old) will be driving this when she turns 16! It will need a new paint job by then though...

Great looking, auto windows, sun roof, and well built.

Latch restrains for car seat, and a little roomier in the cabin.