2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Let Down Some!

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Review

Let Down Some!
By Richard Neva on

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I paid dearly for this car as my retirement ride and never planned to baby it and never did. Just put gas in it and used Amsoil exclusively which I recommend highly. Once a year oil and filter changes. At 60K miles I started having some issues with the fuel air controls and computer module that were very costly to me. Being retired I had a hard time forking over 1200 dollars for a new O2 sensor manifold that sits atop the V6 engine. Now I have a computer error P 1135 and I am waiting for an estimate on that damage. Not happy one iota with the last year of service in 2009. I had expected better longevity. I believe the air fuel system is the weakest link on this automobile.

Plenty of go for passing on two lane black top roads. My last car was a supercharged Mustang and this 4runner goes like a jack rabbit when you punch it to pass. In heavy snow it is great but don't for when you can go you may have to stop.

The air fuel control system is lacking in long term performance.