2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Trusty old friend

2001 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (3.4L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Trusty old friend
By David Fatzinger on

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased slightly used my 4runner has 208,000 miles on it. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It rides like a truck and the seats are very well designed but it has been utterly reliable. Brakes and a battery have been replaced. It still has original exhaust. I live in Michigan and am a hunter. I've driven this thing through deep snow, mud and two tracks that have stopped larger 4- wheel trucks. The 4 wheel drive system is perfect. I can put in 4x8 plywood in the back and haul much gear of various types. Fuel economy has been acceptable for an SUV. Performance is good enough for everything except heavy hauling. I'm looking to get another one but may get a Highlander.

4 wheel drive system and suspension allow decent highway driving and superior off road, bad weather security.

The interior and seating need an upgrade. The brakes have been replaced a few times more than I think is acceptable.