OIL SLUDGE COVER UP
By pschumacher on
2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
Before you purchase any used Toyota with the 3.4 V6, research: "Toyota Oil Sludge" problems. Also read up on the massive recall Toyota launched to replace thousands of engines. Unfortunately, this recall did not show up in the reliability section of my trusted vehicle review sites. I bought an amazingly attractive clunker I am not alone BEWARE I loved my 4Runner, but it will be the last Toyota I own. At 110,000 careful and certified serviced miles I need an new $6000 engine. The Toyota Service Advisor admitted there is a design issue. But nothing they can do at this time.
Favorite Features
Tight and Quiet
Suggested Improvements
The Toyota V6 engine has been plagued with design flaws since the beginning. From head gasket issues, to engine failure.
By raspillade
on 09/01/12 08:11 AM (PDT)

Okay, I'm posting again to state that after a bit of research, I don't see oil sludge problem officially recognized on the 4RUnner's 3.4L 5VZFE engine (1996-2002 models). What I DID find was several instances of 'thrown rods' resulting in catastrophic damage to engine because it puts a hole in the engine block, requiring replacement costing $2500+. Most victims appear to have similar stories: they like Toyota, their vehicle was properly maintained, little or no warning before incident, and vehicle was just being driven normally before BAM! Now their confidence in Toyota is shaken, and unsure whether to replace engine with a like engine.

By raspillade
on 09/01/12 07:10 AM (PDT)

My own beloved 2001 4Runner jsut leaked oil everywhere and root cause appears to be a thrown rod putting a hole in engine block! I've been a TOyota fan since my first one in 1999, owning a total of 4 differnt models. Never a problem until now. Engine has only 80K miles on it, I'm the original owner, and all regular maintenance done. Really a shock and a mystery to me. Replacement cost for a used 120K mile engine will be about $2500. Yeah, I'm mad/sad.