Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

An Excellent SUV
By Aikidoka55

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV brand new in 2001 and it has been with us everywhere in California and Hawaii (Oahu in 2004). It is a very reliable vehicle. All I need to do is put oil and gas in. It required very little maintenance. It is a superb vehicle overall.

Very reliable. Tough chassis.

Bumpy rides.

The Best!
By mgm

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Like others have already written, this is an unbelievably reliable car that is also great looking and fun! I have over 100,000 miles and have only had to do routine maintenance, tires and a couple of tail lights. I haven't even needed to replace the brakes yet. The paint is still beautiful, the ride is still quiet. No rattles, no knocks - nothing. I'm tempted to look into a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage, but I can't see giving my 4Runner up!

The body (especially with the sports package), the rear window, the ride is perfect for an SUV, ease of 4WD, reliability

Preset buttons on the radio have been very worn out since it was only a couple of years old, better stereo, outside temperature gauge (probably already added in newer models)

Stylish runner
By george

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have taken this runner on numerous trips arizona nevada sandiego, great mileage, handles well, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. Handle well on the off road too. A great buy you can count on.

outside temp gauge

a great SUV
By brian

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This 4Runner is much more sound than the '01 Yukon I had previously. It is quiet, and reliable.

My dog loves the rear window, and i like the sporty look with the fender flares and running boards.

Better gas mileage would be great. I get 18-19mpg no matter what.

Happiest 4 runner owner
By kim

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After buying my first 4 runner in 1994, I became a confirmed SUV owner. What a fabulous car. Moved out west with my 2001, handled beautifully on the 4 day drive west to California. Now after 5 yrs of West Coast Driving, many trips to Vegas, San Francisco, all I can say is what a road car, other then 2nd set of tires, and minor maintainance. All SUVs should be like this. I love this ride. Now it's time for my niece to share the car. Bravo Toyota.

The stereo

Change the stock cloth upholstery, and the cup holder, I keep spilling my coffee