Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4 Runner
By George

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable car from an engine and systems standpoint. Wish the mileage efficiency was higher. Suspension is a bit hard; it bounces quite a bit on small bumps on the road.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage efficiency - suspension a bit hard.

I Love My 4-Runner
By Bob B

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been my 3rd 4-Runner, and the best of the best. I have over 70,000 miles on it and have found nothing wrong. It gets used off road a fair amount and it still as tight as if it were new. One thing I have found about 4-Runners, they are very sensitive to kind of off road tires and vibrations caused by some tread designs.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, on and off road. I really like the flexibility of using the A/C in any mode - great for off road dirty places. Stability system worked great on one occasion in the ice.

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE
By doug

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Haven't had to spend any money, except for oil & filter. The only complaint I have with this vehicle is that the front bucket seats aren't very comfortable. The new model 4runner supposedly addressed this problem, but I haven't riden in the new 4runner. I doubt if I would buy another 4runner. I love the reality, but I hate the new style! My wife likes the current style, but she is trying to have us buy a new Sequouia(sic). I like the Sequ ok, but I like that the 4runner is built in Japan. Don't say I'm not patriotic, I joined the Marines at the height of the Viet Nam War! If the USA ever builds a vehicle with Japanese reliabity

Favorite Features

styling, reliability, re-sale value.

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats

Amazing at 107K miles!
By John in Wisc

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 30K miles. One owner (per dealer) and no wear/tear. Now at 106K miles, and repairs virtuallly nil, except the routine (1 tune up, 1 brakes). Front seats a bit crowded, could use 2" more on each. Cloth upholstery on this one - seams are opening up a couple places, need to sew them up. Handles great in snow with 4WD, excellent traction control. The engine purrs and virtually ZERO vibration at idle. Slightly underpowered at 5cyl-has tow package which is easy to hook up. Don't expect a soft "car" ride-this is a truck frame and lets you know it, but that's fine for a true SUV that can off road with the best of 'em.I keep it well maintained/lube oil trans . Great product

Favorite Features

Stability control, on the fly 4 WD, moonroof, rear heater is nice

Suggested Improvements

wider seats in front, rear A/C vents, a bit more power from the 6 cyl engine, and tweak the MPG up a bit.

An Excellent SUV
By Aikidoka55

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV brand new in 2001 and it has been with us everywhere in California and Hawaii (Oahu in 2004). It is a very reliable vehicle. All I need to do is put oil and gas in. It required very little maintenance. It is a superb vehicle overall.

Favorite Features

Very reliable. Tough chassis.

Suggested Improvements

Bumpy rides.