Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great will keep it 4 ever
By Shocker88

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 4Runner sport pkg new and love it. I have put 72000+ miles on it todate. My wife now drives it daily to college. She loves it. Has enough power for her. I love it as well. 4wd system from older Limited versions is great auto 4wd handy for the wife. No problems really to report after 6 yrs of ownership. Did great in snow and ice storms of VA & NC. MPG is okay for SUV, wife gets better then me. Love all the options, would have liked more information gauges like my old 89 Toyota SR5 truck (volt meter, oil pressure).

11" ground clearance, toyota quality, toyota engineering, tough looks, sports pkg, hood scope, roomy interior.

Tranmission shift points, break system (makes strange noise since day one, returned 4 times nothing wrong)? Cruise control stinks, shifts to low of a gear, then shifts right away again. More power sould be nice, thinking of installing the TRD supercharger.

01 4runner
By jeff chung

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a great SUV. Feels like it could last forever. Interior has worn well.

Four wheel drive. Handles perfect in rough terrain.

The fabric on the doors collects dirt too much.

Can't beat it!
By doug

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just got rid of this 4 runner. Bought a 2007 4 runner LTD. Bought new 5-2001 and traded 3-2007. Only problem was power antenna chain broke in 1-2007. Still running original Dunlop tires and factory battery. I have owned about 40 vehicles in my life and without a doubt the Toyota 4 runner is the best of the bunch! The 2001 was a little too tight in the front seats for a guy over 200#s. Shoulders were broader than seat bolsters. 2007 is wider for my size. Whoever buys this 2001 is going to get a vehicle that will probably still be going another 10 years!

Low, mean looks with the 265/70x16" tires and fender flares. Factory installed tow hitch. Power rear window. Sturdy running boards.

Wider seats (problem solved in 2003). Integral radio antenna (problem solved in 2003). Nearly perfect SUV with better than any reliability.

Used 4Runner Review
By Douglas Lemmo

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In the years I have owned it, it has run perfectly. The only parts that have failed have been the 2 oxygen sensors which were expensive to repair. There was one recall in which they replaced front end parts. Gas mileage is consistently at 20 mpg in mixed driving. It has a slightly rough ride which is characteristic of light pickup trucks.

I like the space in the back with the rear seats folded down.

None.

2001 4Runner is Solid SUV
By hdk26819

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased the 4Runner as we started a family. We wanted an SUV to hold the family and also to go off-road for camping. Given the limited gas milage of SUVs, we wanted a 4Runner as one of the better gas milage vehicles. It has run solidly for almost five years now. We bought it "Certified Pre-Owned" via a dealership. Other than normal maintenance, we have had no repair issues on the vehicle. We used the 24-hour roadside assistance twice for tire changes. The 4-wheel drive is not a common use item for us; however it has been a blessing in Oklahoma ice storms and in some camping conditions.

Comfort while driving. It is still a truck, but drives smoothly for a truck.

The engine is fairly loud from the driver's seat.