2001 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Solid as a Japanese Rock
By 09oo1 on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven this SUV over 75000 miles. Other than regular maintainence, I have only had to replace a burned out fog light and two burned out tail lights. I am still on the original Goodyear tires which are as smooth as the day I bought the car. I'm not crazy about the new design, but how could I buy anything else that doesn't have this kind of reliability and resale value.

The most useful tool I've ever bought
By kaldingo on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When car shopping, I knew what I wanted. A reliable used truck that looks great, performs well, is safe, large enough to carry 5 people and is fun to modify! In purchasing my 4Runner, I got all of the above and more.

4 runner
By bobby5671 on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable. No repairs needed.

Will Drive A 4Runner Always
By My car/My dog on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Looks good, rides nicely, & roomy. My dog loves it as much as I do. I bought this car in 2/04. Runs like a charm.

I'll Keep My 4-Runner Thanks!
By Happy 4-Runner Owner on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My all time favorite vehicle. Never any mechanical problems and have had lots of fun driving it. Looks much sharper than the new style 4-Runner.

Love of my wife
By Racer8 on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new for my wife. Absolutely no problems. We love this truck. I have a little trouble fitting in for long distances (62 & 230lbs).We've had it up north in snow and ice and the traction control was excellent.I had my Tacoma out mudding and my wife tried to follow- mistake with the two-wheel drive- it sank to the floor pan. The traction control was the problem, it senses the vehicle is spinning out of control and takes over by shutting down the engine and braking the wheels. But turn off the system and it can manage through unimproved paths easily and rough terrain is ok as long as it is not soft.

Why change a good thing
By rcb837 on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had always admired this vehicle, but it was always out of my price range. Finally I got the chance to actually own one and I love it even more now. It has more options than I even knew it had. The anit-skid is great. This is my second Toyota and it is even better than the first. The wheels flares, hood scoop, and colored bumpers are great. Better then the new ones with gray plastic sides.

Truck based SUV
By Jimbo from Texas on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had only the best experience with my 4Runner. The only negative thing I can think of is the windshield fluid spray back. Whenever I have to use large amounts of windshield fluid to clean off dead bugs or mud, the fluid flows back underneath the mirror and onto the driver's side window . This causes reduced visibility of the mirror.

Solid Pick
By blackjack21 on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new in 11/2000. Has done the job admirably. No mechanical problems whatsoever and the hood scoop gives it a sporty look. Only disappointment is in pickup/engine power.

Buy ONE, You will not Regret
By GF on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

18 mpg ok but not the best, more than makes up for it with the exterior body style. More power need for hwy, for city it does well.