Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

LOVED this SUV
By SpoiledWife

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My husband bought this 4Runner for me used with 100k mi on it. I had no problem with the miles as it was all still as tight as the day it was new. I put another 40k on it before I traded it in 2 weeks ago. I loved it. There is room for 4 large adults comfortably, 5 if one is a smaller child with no car seat. But I have had 5 with one in car seat many times and it wasn't too bad. I never once had any doubts about getting in it and driving where ever I needed to go. I routinely got 18.5 mpg mixed and 21 mpg highway. With the back seats down it can hold a lot of crap. The front seats are ok for short distances but over a long drive the seats can get hard.

Favorite Features

Almost everything. The cargo room, the ruggedness. It rides like a truck, 4x4 works great! The location of all controls are very easy for driver. Very very reliable, no probs at all. Good mpg for its size. I loved all of it except the front seats. At 140k mi still had like new tight steering and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could've been a little more comfortable. not so bad for me but my larger husband found that they were a little small for him and hard on trips. I would still absolutely recommend!!

My cool 4Runner
By escalante

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great driving, I love this car but needs better gas mileage, had no mechanical problems other than regular maintenance.

Favorite Features

Rear window, scoop, drive assist, auto front windows, rear seats folding.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, make them all 4 wheel drives.

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
By Yangster

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used w/ 78k in Aug. of 2006. No problems yet with it and 105k currently in just a little over 1yr of owning it. All I did to it was put tires and keep on driving. Due for the 90k Toyota recommended tune up. Drives nice like a truck w/ an SUV feeling. My dog absolutely loves the roll down rear window. Could use a little more space but what do you expect from a midsize truck. The gas is ok, not complaining. I average 16-17 city mix w/ hwy driving. Straight hwy is about 20-21 mpg. Not too bad. V6 motor is weak but a phenomenal mileage motor known to exceed 300k. Looking forward to upgrading to a Sequoia. Growing family. Love the truck though. 11in clearance for snow and 4wd A+

Favorite Features

Anti-skid safety feature for snow/slippery driving conditions. 4x4 awesome. Roll down window.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a stronger V6 motor but addequate enough to haul things around.

Great Ski and Tow Vehicle
By Seattle Native

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used with 36k miles. Have always wanted a 4Runner from when they were first introduced. Excellent reliability and decent mileage. Bought a 20' boat last summer and with the trailer it weighs about 4200 lbs. The 4Runner tows the boat just fine and handles like a champ! Highly recommended for everyone. Also handles great in the snow and rain.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear window is nice for the big dog.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders!

Great will keep it 4 ever
By Shocker88

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 4Runner sport pkg new and love it. I have put 72000+ miles on it todate. My wife now drives it daily to college. She loves it. Has enough power for her. I love it as well. 4wd system from older Limited versions is great auto 4wd handy for the wife. No problems really to report after 6 yrs of ownership. Did great in snow and ice storms of VA & NC. MPG is okay for SUV, wife gets better then me. Love all the options, would have liked more information gauges like my old 89 Toyota SR5 truck (volt meter, oil pressure).

Favorite Features

11" ground clearance, toyota quality, toyota engineering, tough looks, sports pkg, hood scope, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Tranmission shift points, break system (makes strange noise since day one, returned 4 times nothing wrong)? Cruise control stinks, shifts to low of a gear, then shifts right away again. More power sould be nice, thinking of installing the TRD supercharger.