2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
I Love My 4-Runner
By Bob B on 10/18/06 11:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been my 3rd 4-Runner, and the best of the best. I have over 70,000 miles on it and have found nothing wrong. It gets used off road a fair amount and it still as tight as if it were new. One thing I have found about 4-Runners, they are very sensitive to kind of off road tires and vibrations caused by some tread designs.

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE
By doug on 09/04/06 16:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Haven't had to spend any money, except for oil & filter. The only complaint I have with this vehicle is that the front bucket seats aren't very comfortable. The new model 4runner supposedly addressed this problem, but I haven't riden in the new 4runner. I doubt if I would buy another 4runner. I love the reality, but I hate the new style! My wife likes the current style, but she is trying to have us buy a new Sequouia(sic). I like the Sequ ok, but I like that the 4runner is built in Japan. Don't say I'm not patriotic, I joined the Marines at the height of the Viet Nam War! If the USA ever builds a vehicle with Japanese reliabity

Amazing at 107K miles!
By John in Wisc on 06/20/06 16:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 30K miles. One owner (per dealer) and no wear/tear. Now at 106K miles, and repairs virtuallly nil, except the routine (1 tune up, 1 brakes). Front seats a bit crowded, could use 2" more on each. Cloth upholstery on this one - seams are opening up a couple places, need to sew them up. Handles great in snow with 4WD, excellent traction control. The engine purrs and virtually ZERO vibration at idle. Slightly underpowered at 5cyl-has tow package which is easy to hook up. Don't expect a soft "car" ride-this is a truck frame and lets you know it, but that's fine for a true SUV that can off road with the best of 'em.I keep it well maintained/lube oil trans . Great product

An Excellent SUV
By Aikidoka55 on 05/21/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV brand new in 2001 and it has been with us everywhere in California and Hawaii (Oahu in 2004). It is a very reliable vehicle. All I need to do is put oil and gas in. It required very little maintenance. It is a superb vehicle overall.

The Best!
By mgm on 04/15/06 08:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Like others have already written, this is an unbelievably reliable car that is also great looking and fun! I have over 100,000 miles and have only had to do routine maintenance, tires and a couple of tail lights. I haven't even needed to replace the brakes yet. The paint is still beautiful, the ride is still quiet. No rattles, no knocks - nothing. I'm tempted to look into a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage, but I can't see giving my 4Runner up!

Stylish runner
By george on 03/29/06 15:38 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have taken this runner on numerous trips arizona nevada sandiego, great mileage, handles well, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. Handle well on the off road too. A great buy you can count on.

a great SUV
By brian on 03/27/06 07:10 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This 4Runner is much more sound than the '01 Yukon I had previously. It is quiet, and reliable.

Happiest 4 runner owner
By kim on 03/25/06 16:54 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After buying my first 4 runner in 1994, I became a confirmed SUV owner. What a fabulous car. Moved out west with my 2001, handled beautifully on the 4 day drive west to California. Now after 5 yrs of West Coast Driving, many trips to Vegas, San Francisco, all I can say is what a road car, other then 2nd set of tires, and minor maintainance. All SUVs should be like this. I love this ride. Now it's time for my niece to share the car. Bravo Toyota.

Best car ever
By Shanna on 12/23/05 23:46 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 4Runner with 34k miles and was the best decision I ever made. This car required absolutely no maintenance other than oil changes. The cargo space was great. It was fun to drive and the safest SUV in its class. The 4Runner saved my father's and my life when we hit a rough patch of interstate and I lost control and collided with an 18-wheeler. The crumple zones and side impact beams saved us, as the safety features performed exactly as they were supposed to. I am thankful for having paid a little more to get such a quality vehicle. I recommend this car hands down to anyone considering a mid-size SUV.

Outstanding Vehicle
By Guy Walker on 11/11/05 12:16 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 10-12 different cars and trucks, foreign and domestic, none of them comes close to the reliability and solidity of the 4runner. This is truly an unbelievable truck!! I have 81000 miles and not even needed brakes, they work great! I have not spent a penny on this truck except scheduled maintenance and tires. The ride is a bit jarring, but the solid sounds from the suspension more than make up for it. Power could be stronger but the smoothness and low-end torque more than make up for that. I am obsessed with my 4runner I will always own one, it goes anywhere and is the perfect size SUV. I have driven this in 115 heat and -30 cold, truck never missed a beat!!