2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
By GMan5380 on
2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
This has been, by far, the sweetest vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing has gone wrong in over 200k miles. Not even any rattles or squeaks. It drives like the day I drove it home from the dealer. It does have a few design problems, but otherwise it is a great vehicle. Anti-slip device can be hazardous when pulling into traffic from a snow-covered side street. I have been stranded in the middle of a main road with no power for 2-3 seconds after leaving a snow-covered side street. When this device engages, it drastically reduces power to the drive wheels. Works great when you are at speed, but when trying to quickly slip into traffic, it can be a problem. This device cannot be shut off.
Favorite Features
Brakes: After 215k miles just had front brakes pads and rotors replaced for the first time. Rear brakes are still OK. I opted for the towing package, maybe oversize brakes come with that option. Tire wear is great. Replacement Michelins lasted 120k with two rotations.
Suggested Improvements
Anti-skid device needs an 'off' switch. Driverís Seat Adjustment Lever needs to be re-configured. Some shoes with fabric heel loops can become snagged on the seat lever. This happened to me while in cruise control at 70mph. A truly scary awakening when I attempted to apply the brakes.