2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Drive shaft problems
By granny

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new with 140,000 miles today. Early 2008 thought vibration was u- joints but had to have drive shaft replaced. 8/09 - it is just now doing the same thing. Checking to see if common complaint. Until then it has been very reliable and maintenance (major) free.

7 1/2 times around the planet so far
By okie_bill

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport eight years ago this month, a mere 195K miles ago. Every year I look at the new car ads and every year I say, "maybe in another 15K miles." This is the best built, strongest running car I've ever owned. Like others, I've had a couple of similar minor issues - a broken power antenna, a center console fuse that burns out and yes, the worthless rear window deflector, but that's it. I've had to replace the original tires once, have had *one* tune-up and the brakes have never been touched. Amazing. It's driven the Alaskan Highway, survived 2 winters in N. Dakota and still manages an average of 18 mpg. Why would I ever trade it in?

Favorite Features

Handling in poor weather, body styling, ergonomic placement of controls.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable power antenna, different placement of oil filter.

4Runner Rocks
By avs-man

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2001 and it has never given me any reason to get rid of it. It is tough, rugged, reliable, dependable and good looking. It does not go off road very much but I have full confidence in it when I do. The horsepower on this engine started lagging at 45K at which time I decided to have the TRD Supercharger installed and that made all the difference in the world. Even though the gas mileage stayed the same, I get more bang for my buck and I fly across the Colorado passes! All the features from the driving lights to running boards to rear wiper are convenient. Interior is well designed and ergo-friendly. Handles well too.

Favorite Features

Fender flares, running boards, driving (fog) lights, fold down rear seats, power rear window, 4WD functionality, slip/slide warning indicator.

Suggested Improvements

I'm on my 3rd water pump in 60K miles--not sure what the problem is there. The air diffuser for the rear window is worthless (back window gets really dirty), the power antenna and motor is a bad design and I've had it replaced twice. Antennas should be built into the windows someplace.

4Runner rules!
By mlong

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01 4runner new with 12 miles on it. Today it has 265000 miles on it and its still solid as the day I picked it up from the dealership. My baby has been all over the USA, hint for the high mileage and still hungry for more. This 4runner is the best vehicle that I have ever owned and I high recommend anybody interesting in buying a new car or truck to buy Toyota. I guess it's maybe time to change the timing belt, Lol!

Favorite Features

Great exterior lines, great mileage, tough as they get...

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to improve, it's perfect!

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
By GMan5380

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been, by far, the sweetest vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing has gone wrong in over 200k miles. Not even any rattles or squeaks. It drives like the day I drove it home from the dealer. It does have a few design problems, but otherwise it is a great vehicle. Anti-slip device can be hazardous when pulling into traffic from a snow-covered side street. I have been stranded in the middle of a main road with no power for 2-3 seconds after leaving a snow-covered side street. When this device engages, it drastically reduces power to the drive wheels. Works great when you are at speed, but when trying to quickly slip into traffic, it can be a problem. This device cannot be shut off.

Favorite Features

Brakes: After 215k miles just had front brakes pads and rotors replaced for the first time. Rear brakes are still OK. I opted for the towing package, maybe oversize brakes come with that option. Tire wear is great. Replacement Michelins lasted 120k with two rotations.

Suggested Improvements

Anti-skid device needs an 'off' switch. Driverís Seat Adjustment Lever needs to be re-configured. Some shoes with fabric heel loops can become snagged on the seat lever. This happened to me while in cruise control at 70mph. A truly scary awakening when I attempted to apply the brakes.

Let Down Some!
By Richard Neva

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I paid dearly for this car as my retirement ride and never planned to baby it and never did. Just put gas in it and used Amsoil exclusively which I recommend highly. Once a year oil and filter changes. At 60K miles I started having some issues with the fuel air controls and computer module that were very costly to me. Being retired I had a hard time forking over 1200 dollars for a new O2 sensor manifold that sits atop the V6 engine. Now I have a computer error P 1135 and I am waiting for an estimate on that damage. Not happy one iota with the last year of service in 2009. I had expected better longevity. I believe the air fuel system is the weakest link on this automobile.

Favorite Features

Plenty of go for passing on two lane black top roads. My last car was a supercharged Mustang and this 4runner goes like a jack rabbit when you punch it to pass. In heavy snow it is great but don't for when you can go you may have to stop.

Suggested Improvements

The air fuel control system is lacking in long term performance.

So far so good
By Yoko

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought of owning a car this long. I bought the runner with 40K in 2004. It now has 148K. I did change a lot of stuff, spent about 5K. Still cheaper than buying a new car. This SUV is still running from Florida to New York with no problems. I'm running this truck to the ground. No rust. Paint is great. If you're looking for a long lasting SUV, look no further.

Favorite Features

Turning radius, on the dime.

Suggested Improvements

Side view mirrors could be a little bigger. Engine could be stronger

Worth every penny!
By YotaMan

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 54K mi and after 3.5 years I now have 165K. It has never left me stranded. All I've done to it is replace the plugs/wires, brakes, timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, tires, and other routine maintenance. The only problem I've had with it is this week the front U-joint went bad causing it to ride rough. It cost 100 bucks to fix. Engine sounds as good as ever and I plan on putting another 100K+ miles on it!! I knew I had a solid truck and it was confirmed when I backed into the side of my neighbors bumper. It peeled his fiberglass bumper off like a banana! Scratched my paint and put a little hole in my metal bumper... can't even tell. Now that's a truck!

Favorite Features

Quality components, hidden features like skid and traction control, toughness.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that matters.

Good to the last drop
By daf62757

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4Runner new and used it daily for 7.5 years. I can't say enough how much I love this SUV! The paint looks new and the overall look is even better than the new generation 4Rs. I am on the verge of trading it in but since the gas prices are dropping like a rock these days, my 4R may get another year or two first string duty! I am tempted to keep it as a backup car just to see how long it will last.

Favorite Features

Dual auto front power windows. Most cars only have that feature on the driver's window. The 4R has it on both front window.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and larger fuel tank. I only get about 300 miles of range and even that is not accurate as my Tom Tom says I am going 70 but the speedometer says I am going 74.

Best vehicle I ever owned
By HKPulschen

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owning the car was a pleasure in every way. It never failed me, ever, in 130,000 plus miles.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, great reliability and great looking SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seats could be made easier.