Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

244,000 and still going strong
By Barb

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 4runner w/ 50,000 miles in 2002 and it now has over 244,000. Amazing. Absolutely nothing major has ever gone wrong on this truck; typical oil changes, tires, etc. The MOST reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Still looks and sounds like a champ!

Reliability. It has never let me down.

Interior design/comfort.

Solid truck
By best ever

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Trusty old friend
By David Fatzinger

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased slightly used my 4runner has 208,000 miles on it. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It rides like a truck and the seats are very well designed but it has been utterly reliable. Brakes and a battery have been replaced. It still has original exhaust. I live in Michigan and am a hunter. I've driven this thing through deep snow, mud and two tracks that have stopped larger 4- wheel trucks. The 4 wheel drive system is perfect. I can put in 4x8 plywood in the back and haul much gear of various types. Fuel economy has been acceptable for an SUV. Performance is good enough for everything except heavy hauling. I'm looking to get another one but may get a Highlander.

4 wheel drive system and suspension allow decent highway driving and superior off road, bad weather security.

The interior and seating need an upgrade. The brakes have been replaced a few times more than I think is acceptable.

Fun ride
By Nick

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle with 100000 miles on it, not a rattle, or squeak no fluid leaks, no visible smoke or vapors, great gas mileage 21 mpg 90 per cent highway driving, off road fun and safe, handles snow/ice/wet conditions excellent, quiet and comfortable, a/c excellent (live in desert), heater same, tows my boat and trailer, my motorcycle and trailer,and my toy hauler travel trailer with no effort, hardly know anything is behind me. Need a bigger tow vehicle, but I love my Toyota so much, I will be happy with smaller toys just so I can keep my 4runner. Great piece of mechanical engineering and it is a matter of pride in ownership.

Everything about my 4runner is my favorite feature.

Slightly more towing capacity, without changing anything else.