2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Solid truck
By best ever on 08/24/10 00:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson on 10/25/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Drive shaft problems
By granny on 08/11/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new with 140,000 miles today. Early 2008 thought vibration was u- joints but had to have drive shaft replaced. 8/09 - it is just now doing the same thing. Checking to see if common complaint. Until then it has been very reliable and maintenance (major) free.

Worth every penny!
By YotaMan on 01/16/09 11:59 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 54K mi and after 3.5 years I now have 165K. It has never left me stranded. All I've done to it is replace the plugs/wires, brakes, timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, tires, and other routine maintenance. The only problem I've had with it is this week the front U-joint went bad causing it to ride rough. It cost 100 bucks to fix. Engine sounds as good as ever and I plan on putting another 100K+ miles on it!! I knew I had a solid truck and it was confirmed when I backed into the side of my neighbors bumper. It peeled his fiberglass bumper off like a banana! Scratched my paint and put a little hole in my metal bumper... can't even tell. Now that's a truck!

Good to the last drop
By daf62757 on 10/28/08 07:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4Runner new and used it daily for 7.5 years. I can't say enough how much I love this SUV! The paint looks new and the overall look is even better than the new generation 4Rs. I am on the verge of trading it in but since the gas prices are dropping like a rock these days, my 4R may get another year or two first string duty! I am tempted to keep it as a backup car just to see how long it will last.

My cool 4Runner
By escalante on 02/19/08 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great driving, I love this car but needs better gas mileage, had no mechanical problems other than regular maintenance.

Can't beat it!
By doug on 03/26/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just got rid of this 4 runner. Bought a 2007 4 runner LTD. Bought new 5-2001 and traded 3-2007. Only problem was power antenna chain broke in 1-2007. Still running original Dunlop tires and factory battery. I have owned about 40 vehicles in my life and without a doubt the Toyota 4 runner is the best of the bunch! The 2001 was a little too tight in the front seats for a guy over 200#s. Shoulders were broader than seat bolsters. 2007 is wider for my size. Whoever buys this 2001 is going to get a vehicle that will probably still be going another 10 years!

An Excellent SUV
By Aikidoka55 on 05/21/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV brand new in 2001 and it has been with us everywhere in California and Hawaii (Oahu in 2004). It is a very reliable vehicle. All I need to do is put oil and gas in. It required very little maintenance. It is a superb vehicle overall.

a great SUV
By brian on 03/27/06 07:10 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This 4Runner is much more sound than the '01 Yukon I had previously. It is quiet, and reliable.

Best car ever
By Shanna on 12/23/05 23:46 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 4Runner with 34k miles and was the best decision I ever made. This car required absolutely no maintenance other than oil changes. The cargo space was great. It was fun to drive and the safest SUV in its class. The 4Runner saved my father's and my life when we hit a rough patch of interstate and I lost control and collided with an 18-wheeler. The crumple zones and side impact beams saved us, as the safety features performed exactly as they were supposed to. I am thankful for having paid a little more to get such a quality vehicle. I recommend this car hands down to anyone considering a mid-size SUV.