Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love this SUV!!
By Rolly

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new few days before 9/11. I am very happy owning this vehicle up to now 04/09/2016 (154,000 miles). I have very few issues - the gas tank and the easily rustic chassis. The rest of the vehicle I did not find any problems. With the gas tank, I found having a hard time pumping gas. The gas dispenser nozzle suddenly clicks even when the gas tank is half empty. I brought my 4Runner to a mechanic and he told me their is a problem with the tank (one of the valves is not functioning - the valve closes easily and tries blocking the flow of fuel into the tank. In this situation, the gas pump thinks the tank is already full therefore disengaging the flow by a clicking sound. I just don't know if other owners of this vehicle suffer the same fate as I am. With the rustic chassis, I always washed the vehicle especially after a snow storm (leave in New Jersey). Salt accumulation under the chassis creates oxidation (rust). I spray rust remover upon seeing rust spots under the chassis and around the exhaust system. I used metallic brush to scraped the rust and apply rust remover and dried the surface before spraying with pain primer then applying protective black metallic paint over the primed areas.

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By SueRad1030

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I ever had! I gave it to my son. I bought it new when he was 8 and he is now 21. I never imagined I would be able to pass it off to him This SUV still looks great and runs great!!! We had very few problems with this car. I recently bought a 2015 Toyota Camry and hope the Camry can live up to the 4Runner.

Solid truck
By best ever

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Drive shaft problems
By granny

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new with 140,000 miles today. Early 2008 thought vibration was u- joints but had to have drive shaft replaced. 8/09 - it is just now doing the same thing. Checking to see if common complaint. Until then it has been very reliable and maintenance (major) free.