2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Best Car I've Ever Had
By sambot

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove this thing from Waterloo, IA all the way to PHX, AZ without stopping (besides to get gas). Never overheated, and I was hauling a 8 foot aluminum trailer. Engine is not powerful by any means, but it is reliable. Seats are comfy and interior design is simple with room for mods. I honestly believe this SUV was the best ever made.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

front suspension components.

Excellent SUV
By 6paul11

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 4Runner is an outstanding SUV. Reliable, excellent in bad weather, and built to last through the apocalypse. Ever seen the Top Gear episode with the indestructable Toyota? This is the cousin of the Hilux, the car featured in that show. Nothing can take this beast down. Problems are few and far between. 140,000 miles of service life and many more to go.

Favorite Features

The car has outstanding reliability. It is easy to modify. Quality is outstanding. It simply built to last and perform wherever and whenever you need it.

Suggested Improvements

The car needs a much more powerful engine. While reliable and sufficient around town, this SUV is a slug on the freeway. It barely has enough passing power. Give it a V8 or a bigger V6. 185 horses is pathetic. The 4WD system works fine, but that little button and shifter thingy is unusual to use. The car could use better quality paint. An on the column shifter would be nice to free up room for other equipment. Other than that, no gripes.

2001 4RUNNER FRAME CORROSION
By maine4runner

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Been a good vehicle to date, but the latest issue is major. Frame corrosion by muffler which will not pass inspection without getting fixed. This is at 112K miles and 11 years. Beside the chrome bumpers which I just replaced, the rest of the car is perfect. Toyota response is a case #, and will not tell me how many cases have been reported. The local dealer has had a few come in with the same issue. Searching the internet, I find many people with similiar issues. Anybody having similiar experiance.

Favorite Features

The rest of the vehicle has been very reliable.

OIL SLUDGE COVER UP
By pschumacher

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Before you purchase any used Toyota with the 3.4 V6, research: "Toyota Oil Sludge" problems. Also read up on the massive recall Toyota launched to replace thousands of engines. Unfortunately, this recall did not show up in the reliability section of my trusted vehicle review sites. I bought an amazingly attractive clunker I am not alone BEWARE I loved my 4Runner, but it will be the last Toyota I own. At 110,000 careful and certified serviced miles I need an new $6000 engine. The Toyota Service Advisor admitted there is a design issue. But nothing they can do at this time.

Favorite Features

Tight and Quiet

Suggested Improvements

The Toyota V6 engine has been plagued with design flaws since the beginning. From head gasket issues, to engine failure.

244,000 and still going strong
By Barb

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 4runner w/ 50,000 miles in 2002 and it now has over 244,000. Amazing. Absolutely nothing major has ever gone wrong on this truck; typical oil changes, tires, etc. The MOST reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Still looks and sounds like a champ!

Favorite Features

Reliability. It has never let me down.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design/comfort.

Solid truck
By best ever

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Trusty old friend
By David Fatzinger

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased slightly used my 4runner has 208,000 miles on it. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It rides like a truck and the seats are very well designed but it has been utterly reliable. Brakes and a battery have been replaced. It still has original exhaust. I live in Michigan and am a hunter. I've driven this thing through deep snow, mud and two tracks that have stopped larger 4- wheel trucks. The 4 wheel drive system is perfect. I can put in 4x8 plywood in the back and haul much gear of various types. Fuel economy has been acceptable for an SUV. Performance is good enough for everything except heavy hauling. I'm looking to get another one but may get a Highlander.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive system and suspension allow decent highway driving and superior off road, bad weather security.

Suggested Improvements

The interior and seating need an upgrade. The brakes have been replaced a few times more than I think is acceptable.

Fun ride
By Nick

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle with 100000 miles on it, not a rattle, or squeak no fluid leaks, no visible smoke or vapors, great gas mileage 21 mpg 90 per cent highway driving, off road fun and safe, handles snow/ice/wet conditions excellent, quiet and comfortable, a/c excellent (live in desert), heater same, tows my boat and trailer, my motorcycle and trailer,and my toy hauler travel trailer with no effort, hardly know anything is behind me. Need a bigger tow vehicle, but I love my Toyota so much, I will be happy with smaller toys just so I can keep my 4runner. Great piece of mechanical engineering and it is a matter of pride in ownership.

Favorite Features

Everything about my 4runner is my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more towing capacity, without changing anything else.

Unstoppable 4Runner Sport
By TommyP

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have about 140,000 miles on the truck - bought it with about 20,000 miles. I have had to replace the tires a couple times, rear brakes blew out at 65K and front rotors changed a couple times. Rear key entry stopped working a long time ago but other than those things - perfect. Used Mobil 1 since I've had the truck with good results. Regularly get 20-21 MPG, 18-19 when using 4WD in winter. The truck still looks and runs great. Every time I think of trading her in she gives me a reason to think twice.

Favorite Features

Looks - wide tires, hood scoop she just looks bad to the bone right from the factory. Auto up front windows, comfortable seats and sliding rear window.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is just ok (and it's the upgraded version), more power would be nice, folding the rear seats could have been better designed. Bouncy hwy ride but we didn't buy it for just the hwy did we?