Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best Car I've Ever Had
By sambot

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove this thing from Waterloo, IA all the way to PHX, AZ without stopping (besides to get gas). Never overheated, and I was hauling a 8 foot aluminum trailer. Engine is not powerful by any means, but it is reliable. Seats are comfy and interior design is simple with room for mods. I honestly believe this SUV was the best ever made.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

front suspension components.

Excellent SUV
By 6paul11

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 4Runner is an outstanding SUV. Reliable, excellent in bad weather, and built to last through the apocalypse. Ever seen the Top Gear episode with the indestructable Toyota? This is the cousin of the Hilux, the car featured in that show. Nothing can take this beast down. Problems are few and far between. 140,000 miles of service life and many more to go.

Favorite Features

The car has outstanding reliability. It is easy to modify. Quality is outstanding. It simply built to last and perform wherever and whenever you need it.

Suggested Improvements

The car needs a much more powerful engine. While reliable and sufficient around town, this SUV is a slug on the freeway. It barely has enough passing power. Give it a V8 or a bigger V6. 185 horses is pathetic. The 4WD system works fine, but that little button and shifter thingy is unusual to use. The car could use better quality paint. An on the column shifter would be nice to free up room for other equipment. Other than that, no gripes.

2001 4RUNNER FRAME CORROSION
By maine4runner

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Been a good vehicle to date, but the latest issue is major. Frame corrosion by muffler which will not pass inspection without getting fixed. This is at 112K miles and 11 years. Beside the chrome bumpers which I just replaced, the rest of the car is perfect. Toyota response is a case #, and will not tell me how many cases have been reported. The local dealer has had a few come in with the same issue. Searching the internet, I find many people with similiar issues. Anybody having similiar experiance.

Favorite Features

The rest of the vehicle has been very reliable.

OIL SLUDGE COVER UP
By pschumacher

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Before you purchase any used Toyota with the 3.4 V6, research: "Toyota Oil Sludge" problems. Also read up on the massive recall Toyota launched to replace thousands of engines. Unfortunately, this recall did not show up in the reliability section of my trusted vehicle review sites. I bought an amazingly attractive clunker I am not alone BEWARE I loved my 4Runner, but it will be the last Toyota I own. At 110,000 careful and certified serviced miles I need an new $6000 engine. The Toyota Service Advisor admitted there is a design issue. But nothing they can do at this time.

Favorite Features

Tight and Quiet

Suggested Improvements

The Toyota V6 engine has been plagued with design flaws since the beginning. From head gasket issues, to engine failure.

244,000 and still going strong
By Barb

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 4runner w/ 50,000 miles in 2002 and it now has over 244,000. Amazing. Absolutely nothing major has ever gone wrong on this truck; typical oil changes, tires, etc. The MOST reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Still looks and sounds like a champ!

Favorite Features

Reliability. It has never let me down.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design/comfort.