Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love this SUV!!
By Rolly

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new few days before 9/11. I am very happy owning this vehicle up to now 04/09/2016 (154,000 miles). I have very few issues - the gas tank and the easily rustic chassis. The rest of the vehicle I did not find any problems. With the gas tank, I found having a hard time pumping gas. The gas dispenser nozzle suddenly clicks even when the gas tank is half empty. I brought my 4Runner to a mechanic and he told me their is a problem with the tank (one of the valves is not functioning - the valve closes easily and tries blocking the flow of fuel into the tank. In this situation, the gas pump thinks the tank is already full therefore disengaging the flow by a clicking sound. I just don't know if other owners of this vehicle suffer the same fate as I am. With the rustic chassis, I always washed the vehicle especially after a snow storm (leave in New Jersey). Salt accumulation under the chassis creates oxidation (rust). I spray rust remover upon seeing rust spots under the chassis and around the exhaust system. I used metallic brush to scraped the rust and apply rust remover and dried the surface before spraying with pain primer then applying protective black metallic paint over the primed areas.

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By SueRad1030

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I ever had! I gave it to my son. I bought it new when he was 8 and he is now 21. I never imagined I would be able to pass it off to him This SUV still looks great and runs great!!! We had very few problems with this car. I recently bought a 2015 Toyota Camry and hope the Camry can live up to the 4Runner.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By sambot

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove this thing from Waterloo, IA all the way to PHX, AZ without stopping (besides to get gas). Never overheated, and I was hauling a 8 foot aluminum trailer. Engine is not powerful by any means, but it is reliable. Seats are comfy and interior design is simple with room for mods. I honestly believe this SUV was the best ever made.

EVERYTHING

front suspension components.

Excellent SUV
By 6paul11

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 4Runner is an outstanding SUV. Reliable, excellent in bad weather, and built to last through the apocalypse. Ever seen the Top Gear episode with the indestructable Toyota? This is the cousin of the Hilux, the car featured in that show. Nothing can take this beast down. Problems are few and far between. 140,000 miles of service life and many more to go.

The car has outstanding reliability. It is easy to modify. Quality is outstanding. It simply built to last and perform wherever and whenever you need it.

The car needs a much more powerful engine. While reliable and sufficient around town, this SUV is a slug on the freeway. It barely has enough passing power. Give it a V8 or a bigger V6. 185 horses is pathetic. The 4WD system works fine, but that little button and shifter thingy is unusual to use. The car could use better quality paint. An on the column shifter would be nice to free up room for other equipment. Other than that, no gripes.

2001 4RUNNER FRAME CORROSION
By maine4runner

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Been a good vehicle to date, but the latest issue is major.
Frame corrosion
by muffler which will not pass inspection without getting fixed.
This is at 112K miles and 11 years.
Beside the chrome bumpers which I just replaced, the rest of the car is perfect.
Toyota response is a case #, and will not tell me how many cases have been reported.
The local dealer has had a few come in with the same issue.

Searching the internet, I find many people with similiar issues.

Anybody having similiar experiance.

The rest of the vehicle has been very reliable.