Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Solid truck
By best ever

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Drive shaft problems
By granny

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new with 140,000 miles today. Early 2008 thought vibration was u- joints but had to have drive shaft replaced. 8/09 - it is just now doing the same thing. Checking to see if common complaint. Until then it has been very reliable and maintenance (major) free.

Worth every penny!
By YotaMan

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 54K mi and after 3.5 years I now have 165K. It has never left me stranded. All I've done to it is replace the plugs/wires, brakes, timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, tires, and other routine maintenance. The only problem I've had with it is this week the front U-joint went bad causing it to ride rough. It cost 100 bucks to fix. Engine sounds as good as ever and I plan on putting another 100K+ miles on it!! I knew I had a solid truck and it was confirmed when I backed into the side of my neighbors bumper. It peeled his fiberglass bumper off like a banana! Scratched my paint and put a little hole in my metal bumper... can't even tell. Now that's a truck!

Quality components, hidden features like skid and traction control, toughness.

Nothing that matters.

Good to the last drop
By daf62757

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4Runner new and used it daily for 7.5 years. I can't say enough how much I love this SUV! The paint looks new and the overall look is even better than the new generation 4Rs. I am on the verge of trading it in but since the gas prices are dropping like a rock these days, my 4R may get another year or two first string duty! I am tempted to keep it as a backup car just to see how long it will last.

Dual auto front power windows. Most cars only have that feature on the driver's window. The 4R has it on both front window.

Better gas mileage and larger fuel tank. I only get about 300 miles of range and even that is not accurate as my Tom Tom says I am going 70 but the speedometer says I am going 74.