Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By SueRad1030

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I ever had! I gave it to my son. I bought it new when he was 8 and he is now 20. I never imagined I would be able to pass it off to him This SUV still looks great and runs great!!! We had very few problems with this car. I recently bought a 2015 Toyota Camry and hope the Camry can live up to the 4Runner.

Solid truck
By best ever

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I brought it used at 73,000 about 5 yrs ago. I currently have 155,000, the only major problem I've had was that the transmission had to rebuilt at 96,000, but it has been running sound ever since.

Transmission Problems
By A. Jackson

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At 100k miles needed transmission replaced. Driver's seat fabric separating at seam. Driver's seat belt retractor sluggish so belt buckle gets caught in door.

Drive shaft problems
By granny

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new with 140,000 miles today. Early 2008 thought vibration was u- joints but had to have drive shaft replaced. 8/09 - it is just now doing the same thing. Checking to see if common complaint. Until then it has been very reliable and maintenance (major) free.

Worth every penny!
By YotaMan

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 54K mi and after 3.5 years I now have 165K. It has never left me stranded. All I've done to it is replace the plugs/wires, brakes, timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, tires, and other routine maintenance. The only problem I've had with it is this week the front U-joint went bad causing it to ride rough. It cost 100 bucks to fix. Engine sounds as good as ever and I plan on putting another 100K+ miles on it!! I knew I had a solid truck and it was confirmed when I backed into the side of my neighbors bumper. It peeled his fiberglass bumper off like a banana! Scratched my paint and put a little hole in my metal bumper... can't even tell. Now that's a truck!

Quality components, hidden features like skid and traction control, toughness.

Nothing that matters.