2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Love/Hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (3.4L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner on

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.