Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great SUV
By 2ndRunner on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We traded our 1994 4Runner for this 2000 Runner. It was in the dealer's inventory for several months and seemed to not sell because of the color (Dark Green). We waited until the price dropped and eventually got a great deal. It is a significant upgrade from our '94 in that it has a more advanced 4 wheel drive system, a stronger, quieter engine plus improved creature features.

CLUTCH SCREECHES:TOYOTA CAN'T FIX IT
By wellesley80 on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner over other SUVs for Toyota quality. What a mistake. I've driven clutch vehiches for 27 years and never had a problem till this one. The clutch screeches. The dealer has replaced the clutch 4 TIMES. Last time the factory representative told me the dealer had installed it incorrectly. Now, 6 months later, it's screeching again. Don't buy this SUV. This is my last Toyota.

Great SUV!
By Bully on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this 4Runner, and while it was a good SUV, it just isn't in the same class as the 4Runner. This is a great looking, well made SUV. There are no squeaks or rattles - the truck is tight, even after 50,000 miles. The steering is very responsive. While the engine is fine, more power would be appreciated (and is now offered by Toyota).

BRAKES A PROBLEM
By TEVA on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Brake vibration has been a problem.Rotors replaced pads replaced(three times).Dealer was going to start charging me til I found a service memo about this problem from TOYOTA at this site.

Great midsize SUV
By prichardson on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

The 2k Toyota 4Runner is a very capable SUV both on and off road. With rugged styling and truck toughness to match, this is a refreshinly capable truck in a world full of pavement queens. The last year of a manual transmission, 4 cylinder, as well as a selectable rear locker make this a good model, also for those who like driver control the VSC system was still optional. As a truck that does not compromise off-road ability for a cushy ride expect to feel bumps, but this stiffness also lends to it's on road handling prowess.

Great SUV
By toyandvw on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We've got over 90K miles on our 4Runner- off and on pavement. Love it.. don't even want to trade it in on a new one. Brakes are original and still have plenty of wear left- replaced the tires @80K.

Reliable, Solid, yet...
By JDBooks on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

The 4Runner is solid, but a stiff ride. The interior is more cramped than my old Grand Cherokee but the seats more comfortable. The V6 is adequate for most unless you like power. With a load & passengers, it will seem very slow. No rattles or sqeaks is a tribute to the quality but my pwr antenna went out (warranty) and front floor mat ripped. CD player skips out. Minor problems for what is overall a fine vehicle. Gas mileage is about 14- 15 in town, almost 20 on freeway. Stock Bridgestone tires wear quickly.

Toyota Strong
By WSU92 on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This Toyota stands strong to the name it represents. The heritage of Toyota quality is passed on to this automobile. The five-speed manual transmission with the V6 is a fuel friendly, aggressive combination capable of handling suburban traffic entrapments and natures liberating climbs. The interior comprises an appealing approach to functionality and resourcefulness. This model and year is sure to please the toughest of critics.

Bad experience
By BRITTinFL on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I loved my 4-Runner until the right front wheel sheered off at the axle at 50mph, the truck then veered to the right and rolled. I guess it's a testimony to the truck also that my passenger and I walked away from the accident. $14,000 in damages, I don't want to drive it any more.....

4 Runner 4 ever
By Canadian Craig on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is an awesome vehicle. It looks great, drives great, thrashes around well in the woods and only asks for more fuel in return. I use this truck for your normal highway use but it gets a lot of off road use as well. I have been stuck but it's been my fault. As long as the wheels have something to grab, it moves forward. The only complaint would have to be the fuel costs but it's better than paying for repairs like the jeep I use to own.