2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews 7

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great SUV!
By Bully

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this 4Runner, and while it was a good SUV, it just isn't in the same class as the 4Runner. This is a great looking, well made SUV. There are no squeaks or rattles - the truck is tight, even after 50,000 miles. The steering is very responsive. While the engine is fine, more power would be appreciated (and is now offered by Toyota).

Favorite Features

This is a surefooted, good looking SUV, and I can go anywhere I want to go, and be comfortable getting there.

Suggested Improvements

This SUV sorely needs and upgraded stereo. It is a "vanilla" sounding unit - probably due to the cheap speakers in the doors. Even though you can adjust treble, mid, and bass, it just never gets to the place where you can lean back and say "that sounds great".

BRAKES A PROBLEM
By TEVA

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Brake vibration has been a problem.Rotors replaced pads replaced(three times).Dealer was going to start charging me til I found a service memo about this problem from TOYOTA at this site.

Favorite Features

TOYOTA QUALITY

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to also to let their owners know and DEALERS there is problem and how to correct it. It is NOT just this one 4runner but others with the same brake problem

Great midsize SUV
By prichardson

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

The 2k Toyota 4Runner is a very capable SUV both on and off road. With rugged styling and truck toughness to match, this is a refreshinly capable truck in a world full of pavement queens. The last year of a manual transmission, 4 cylinder, as well as a selectable rear locker make this a good model, also for those who like driver control the VSC system was still optional. As a truck that does not compromise off-road ability for a cushy ride expect to feel bumps, but this stiffness also lends to it's on road handling prowess.

Favorite Features

2.7 liter 3rz, Electric rear locker, Great interior ergonomics, 5 speed manual, super low axle ratios, power rear window, RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats in base models

Great SUV
By toyandvw

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We've got over 90K miles on our 4Runner- off and on pavement. Love it.. don't even want to trade it in on a new one. Brakes are original and still have plenty of wear left- replaced the tires @80K.

Reliable, Solid, yet...
By JDBooks

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

The 4Runner is solid, but a stiff ride. The interior is more cramped than my old Grand Cherokee but the seats more comfortable. The V6 is adequate for most unless you like power. With a load & passengers, it will seem very slow. No rattles or sqeaks is a tribute to the quality but my pwr antenna went out (warranty) and front floor mat ripped. CD player skips out. Minor problems for what is overall a fine vehicle. Gas mileage is about 14- 15 in town, almost 20 on freeway. Stock Bridgestone tires wear quickly.

Favorite Features

Looks and stance of vehicle, build quality-feels solid. Dependable, can seat 4 adults in a pinch.

Suggested Improvements

A used purchase might consider upgrading radio/CD player, upgrade tires, watch for problem with fuel gauge inaccuracy.

Toyota Strong
By WSU92

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This Toyota stands strong to the name it represents. The heritage of Toyota quality is passed on to this automobile. The five-speed manual transmission with the V6 is a fuel friendly, aggressive combination capable of handling suburban traffic entrapments and natures liberating climbs. The interior comprises an appealing approach to functionality and resourcefulness. This model and year is sure to please the toughest of critics.

Favorite Features

The 4 Runner has a stiff suspension and ground clearance to match. It was designed to serve the initial purpose of an SUV. Other SUV's certainly have softer rides but are considered by many as glorified passenger cars and not suitable for sport type conditions.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Bad experience
By BRITTinFL

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I loved my 4-Runner until the right front wheel sheered off at the axle at 50mph, the truck then veered to the right and rolled. I guess it's a testimony to the truck also that my passenger and I walked away from the accident. $14,000 in damages, I don't want to drive it any more.....

Favorite Features

The back window, it's how I got out...

Suggested Improvements

Deeper, more comfortable seats

4 Runner 4 ever
By Canadian Craig

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is an awesome vehicle. It looks great, drives great, thrashes around well in the woods and only asks for more fuel in return. I use this truck for your normal highway use but it gets a lot of off road use as well. I have been stuck but it's been my fault. As long as the wheels have something to grab, it moves forward. The only complaint would have to be the fuel costs but it's better than paying for repairs like the jeep I use to own.

Favorite Features

Reliable quality, solid, no squeeks, rattles, leaks or anything. Looks awesome when really clean or really dirty. :)

Suggested Improvements

The locking rear diff wasn't available in Canada in the SR5 model. It's an upgrade I wish I had.

Very happy with mine
By compguy

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Now has 40K. Perfect size for me and my outdoor activities. I wouldn't want to be 6'+ in the drivers seat. We take 2 kids camping with adequate room for kids and gear. Firm suspension but I wanted something to take 4 wheelin in the back country in Colorado - excellent there. Drives nice to me on the highway. Rarely need to use FWD in snow storms in the mountains. About 23 MPG from Grand Junction to Denver OVER the rockies / 19-20 around town - great for an SUV. I asked my mechanic about Toyotas before I bought one. Said I wouldn't see him much any more but when I do it will cost me. Good fit and finish, hasn't needed anything but oil changes in 40K.

Favorite Features

Tough as nails, attractive design, power rear window, great civilized off road vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Hotter rear defroster, stronger A/C, rear wind deflector doesn't do much to keep dust off hatch on dirt roads.

Best SUV ever!
By Susie Q

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a petite girl and the 4Runner is the only SUV that I have driven that I can fit comfortably without being on top of the steering wheel. I have owned my truck for 32 months, have 51,000 miles on it and it's never been in the shop for anything other then oil changes and scheduled maintenace. I plan on keeping it for a really long time!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, lots of cargo space for those trips to Home Depot and Lowes, low maintenace, lots of visability, not toooooo big and looks great!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can say is that I wish the gas mileage was a little better, but I guess I cannot complain about 17.8 miles per gallon.