Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

8 years and going strong
By toyotofan

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000 and never had a problem with it except when I had to replace the battery in the keyless remote. Oh, and when the car battery (finally) died a few months ago (it lasted almost 8 years!!). Great if you really need 4WD and road clearance. I put it in 4WD daily on our mountain road. We love our 4Runner. My husband wants to buy me a new vehicle, but I'm not ready to give this one up! Conservative dash, no bling. Boring stereo, cd player skips on curves and mountain roads.

Favorite Features

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Handles beautifully in snow. Road clearance. Oh, did I mention reliability?

Suggested Improvements

If anything, I could use a little bit better gas mileage for what I call my "compact SUV" (It fits in compact parking stalls.) A cool stereo system would be nice but that's no big deal.

Reliable, just wish it had more hp
By Firefighterjake

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I traded in an older 4Runner for this one back in 2001. If you're looking for a reliable SUV, this is the one. It's well built. The only issue I've had is the infamous Maine road salt has required a fix of the parking brake. It offers some great features and is a true off-road SUV. It will get you there and back again in style.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Great exterior and interior design. Did I mention the Toyota dependability?

Suggested Improvements

An issue addressed in today's 4Runners , the 6-cylinder version is and continues to be anemic. Towing my two snowmobiles or ATVs is a real chore when it comes to climbing the hills. I also wish the hood scoop was functional with either a turbo or super-charger to add more power.

Toyota's Best
By George Suggs

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a very reliable and enjoyable car for us. We've towed over 5000 lbs of payload... had to replace disk brakes, but no other problems. A very well made vehicle.

Favorite Features

4 Wheel Drive, Uses same gas with a trailer as with almost no load!

Suggested Improvements

GPS would be great.

Over 100,000 miles and no rattles
By NOLA lady

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is the most dependable vehicle I've ever driven. When we evacuated NOLA during Hurricane Katrina, we left the vehicle parked in our driveway (we evacuated in my husband's newer model 4-Runner). Mine sat in over a foot of water for at least a week and was hit by flying debris (probably part of our roof). When I started it up three weeks later, the engine turned right over; I was one of the only people on my street who just got in the car and drove it away. Since then, we've dealt with canyon-sized NOLA pot- holes, street debris, and true off- road conditions every day. Not a problem. She has cosmetic battle scars, but not a single rattle. 113,000 miles and going strong.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is rough, but then again this is basically a truck. I'd like a smoother ride, but not if I have to give up the off-road capabilities and general "tightness" of the vehicle. Another miscellaneous junk (cell- phone) holder would be nice; I use the cup-holder for that purpose.

Best car I have ever owned
By Ivan

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

6 years old and 69K miles with no problems. Great car, powerful and reliable. very roomy. All I had to do was change the tires and replace a lightbulb. This car will run forever.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Looks a lot better then new model.

Suggested Improvements

None.