2000 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great SUV
By AL4runner on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I have had this suv for 4 years and never had one problem with it. It has 52000 and nothing has been replaced other then tires.

Solid
By Shasta McNasty on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4Runner brand new and have owned it for 3 1/2 years and 43000 miles. The truck is as tight as the day I drove it off the lot. I've had ZERO problems. In addition, this is by far the best looking SUV produced in the 2000 model year. I highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for a preowned SUV between $15K and $20K.

4Runner Review
By thomasobx on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a reliable off road vechicle that would meet all my needs. Toyota was the obivious choice. Most of my off roading occurs in the soft sand of Cape Hatteras. I wanted bullet-proof performance and I have not been disappointed. Gas mileage is about what I expected for my gear ratio, 14- 15 mpg in the city and 20-21mpg on the highway. I just replaced the original Dunlop tires with 41K miles with Michelin Cross Terrains and the truck feels like it is brand new again. This was my first Toyota and it will not be my last.

Fun and Reliable
By Alexi on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had great fortune with this vehicle. It has been incredibly reliable. The only parts that have been replaced in 75000 miles are 1) the heater fan (a "critter" made a nest in there) and 2) the front brake rotors. I'm thinking of selling it now and buying a the 2004 version, just so I can tow a trailer with the optional V8. I hope they never discontinue this model.

Flip
By vneyer on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Thought that the car was great till I took a detour on a gravel road and the car flipped.

I love it!
By jstew on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love it. I've always wanted one, and now that I have had one for the past year, my opinion hasn't changed. I still want it and love driving it. It serves both the desire of luxury and ruggedness. Have compared it to friends Explorer, Durango, Jeep, Bravado, and love the 4runner so much more. It just seems much more "tight" than others.

Fun to drive, strong 4cyl, reliable+++
By alchemy on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

The 150+ horse power I-4 is adequate for most applications. Excellent acceleration with the manual transmission, strong, quiet and tuff when reved. The interior build quality is impecable. The 2wd model which I have doesvery well on fire roads and minor off road driving. The high ground clearance and manual transmission allows the vehicle to wedge into just about any forseeable situation. With the right tires, it is great on snow too. If you want to climb hills, get the 4x4, but the 5 speed 2wd it adequate for most applications

Don't miss Explorer...
By P L on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this to replace my 98 Explorer. There is no comparison between the two. My 4Runner feels like a bank vault in comparison, and is just a nicer, better vehicle in almost every way, except the auto 4x4 which I miss using (but not fixing). I passed up new baby SUVs and newer domestics that cost the same so I could get Toyota quality and a real truck. I was really burned on my Explorer as it was constantly in the shop. Lesson learned.

Great SUV
By 2ndRunner on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We traded our 1994 4Runner for this 2000 Runner. It was in the dealer's inventory for several months and seemed to not sell because of the color (Dark Green). We waited until the price dropped and eventually got a great deal. It is a significant upgrade from our '94 in that it has a more advanced 4 wheel drive system, a stronger, quieter engine plus improved creature features.

CLUTCH SCREECHES:TOYOTA CAN'T FIX IT
By wellesley80 on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner over other SUVs for Toyota quality. What a mistake. I've driven clutch vehiches for 27 years and never had a problem till this one. The clutch screeches. The dealer has replaced the clutch 4 TIMES. Last time the factory representative told me the dealer had installed it incorrectly. Now, 6 months later, it's screeching again. Don't buy this SUV. This is my last Toyota.