Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good, but overpriced.
By pmn

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this for 5 years and overall it has been reliable, although it once failed to start at -15 degrees, died on the interstate for five minutes, and misc things have broken. Off road capability is excellent. MPG is poor considering size and modest power, ride is pretty rough, terrible in a cross wind, and overall comfort is below average. Not nearly enough enough power to comfortably tow what it claims. Paid a premium price due to reputation for reliability, and for the most part has not disappointed there. But resale today isn't all that great. For my actual cost out of pocket I could have driven a significantly nicer (and larger) vehicle the past 5 years.

Off road capability. Reliability has been good overall and it is still a very solid vehicle. Dual Auto UP windows. A real truck in today's world of station wagons masquerading as SUVs.

Better stability in wind. More comfortable and roomy interior. Wheels that don't need hub-centric balancing equipment that nobody seems to have. Power adequate for the 5,000 lb tow rating. Don't leave me stranded twice for inexplicable reasons. Not even my horribly unreliable Explorer did that.

Versatility and Value. Will last 4ever.
By PD

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Why spend 13 grand on a 2000 Toyota? There's simply no vehicle out there like it. Incredibly versatile. 4 door, 4wd, V6, manual tranny (i might look at a new one if they still offered the stick), decent gas mileage (way better than the Jeep I used to drive), composed on the highway, QUIET for an SUV, really comfortable sport seats, laughs at the snow, and of course Toyota reliability. The build quality is ridiculous. 8 years old and no rattles or squeaks. Almost feels like a convertible with the windows down, the tailgate window down, and the sunroof open. I paid a lot more than I would have for a 2000 Explorer, but compare it to a new 4Runner and it's a no-brainer. Will go forever.

Manual tranny (please bring it back), power rear tailgate window (WHY has no other manufacturer adopted this?!--my dog can't live without it!), adjustable lumbar support, easy highway cruising, 17-21 mpg, all-weather/ go-anywhere capability, reliability, and build quality - this is one TIGHT truck.

While the gas mileage is good for this kind of vehicle, it needs a bigger tank. That's it! I've got 67K on mine and plan on driving it for another ten years. Best vehicle I have ever owned, hands down, and I have owned many vehicles.

I love this car!
By Veronica

2000 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this car for almost eight years. I have never, ever had a problem. I just take it in for regular oil changes and have done the 30K, 60K, and 90K maintenance. The only flaws in this car are cosmetic and were my own doing. I live in Oklahoma and have driven it to Las Vegas, New Orleans, the Texas coast, Rocky mountains in Colorado, and back and forth to Kansas hundreds of times. The fuel economy is reasonable given the size of the vehicle. I will have a hard time giving her up.

My 4Runner is purple and there is plenty of room for friends and/or stuff.

The only things I've ever thought to improve were minor and cosmetic and I can't even think of them right now.

8 years and going strong
By toyotofan

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000 and never had a problem with it except when I had to replace the battery in the keyless remote. Oh, and when the car battery (finally) died a few months ago (it lasted almost 8 years!!). Great if you really need 4WD and road clearance. I put it in 4WD daily on our mountain road. We love our 4Runner. My husband wants to buy me a new vehicle, but I'm not ready to give this one up! Conservative dash, no bling. Boring stereo, cd player skips on curves and mountain roads.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Handles beautifully in snow. Road clearance. Oh, did I mention reliability?

If anything, I could use a little bit better gas mileage for what I call my "compact SUV" (It fits in compact parking stalls.) A cool stereo system would be nice but that's no big deal.

Reliable, just wish it had more hp
By Firefighterjake

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I traded in an older 4Runner for this one back in 2001. If you're looking for a reliable SUV, this is the one. It's well built. The only issue I've had is the infamous Maine road salt has required a fix of the parking brake. It offers some great features and is a true off-road SUV. It will get you there and back again in style.

Reliability. Great exterior and interior design. Did I mention the Toyota dependability?

An issue addressed in today's 4Runners , the 6-cylinder version is and continues to be anemic. Towing my two snowmobiles or ATVs is a real chore when it comes to climbing the hills. I also wish the hood scoop was functional with either a turbo or super-charger to add more power.

• SUV