Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2000 LTD 4WD 4Runner
By gknuck

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our second 4Runner. The first was a 1990 SR5 with 167,000 miles on it. We sold it when we moved to Florida. Kept the 2000 model and it's got 90,000 miles on it now and still runs like new. We bought it used with 21,000 miles on it in 2002. It's been a great vehicle just like the 90 was. Wished we hadn't sold the 90 4Runner now. We bought it with 70,000 miles on it (90 4Runner). We're currently looking to buy another one for a second car. Most likely another 2000 or 2001.

Favorite Features

Rugged. Good tight ride and no rattles.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a little more horse power.

Runs Like a Tank
By Tim

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4runner since 2002 and have taken it on several cross country trips. It now has over 130,000 miles on it and it has never let me down. I have also taken down the beaches in Mexico and I find myself pulling others out. The only thing other than routine maintenance like a timing belt was I had to replace the starter once. It performs well both on and off road and it cannot be beat for reliability. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they still offer these in a 5 speed. No stability control and side airbags in this year.

4 Runner Transmission Problems
By Ken

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Car was a great car until about 70K. Had a couple little issues. One is a rattle that we have been unable to solve somewhere in Dash. Car is slightly underpowered. V6 strains over those hills when you get any kind of steep roads like Flagstaff, AZ or mountains west of Denver, Etc. Shutting overdrive off helps immensely. At 81K would not come out of 4 wheel drive. Replaced 4x4 actuator in transfer case ($1500). At 90K same problem, dealer says it needs a whole new transfer case costing ($3700). This will now become a 2wd 4 runner until its sold. I am told by dealer Toyota will do nothing. Very disappointed in the quality. Any car that u have major stuff before 120K is a sub par.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort. Great for long trips with family. 4 wheel drive when conditions get slippery.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability with 4 wheel drive

Good, but overpriced.
By pmn

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this for 5 years and overall it has been reliable, although it once failed to start at -15 degrees, died on the interstate for five minutes, and misc things have broken. Off road capability is excellent. MPG is poor considering size and modest power, ride is pretty rough, terrible in a cross wind, and overall comfort is below average. Not nearly enough enough power to comfortably tow what it claims. Paid a premium price due to reputation for reliability, and for the most part has not disappointed there. But resale today isn't all that great. For my actual cost out of pocket I could have driven a significantly nicer (and larger) vehicle the past 5 years.

Favorite Features

Off road capability. Reliability has been good overall and it is still a very solid vehicle. Dual Auto UP windows. A real truck in today's world of station wagons masquerading as SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Better stability in wind. More comfortable and roomy interior. Wheels that don't need hub-centric balancing equipment that nobody seems to have. Power adequate for the 5,000 lb tow rating. Don't leave me stranded twice for inexplicable reasons. Not even my horribly unreliable Explorer did that.

Versatility and Value. Will last 4ever.
By PD

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Why spend 13 grand on a 2000 Toyota? There's simply no vehicle out there like it. Incredibly versatile. 4 door, 4wd, V6, manual tranny (i might look at a new one if they still offered the stick), decent gas mileage (way better than the Jeep I used to drive), composed on the highway, QUIET for an SUV, really comfortable sport seats, laughs at the snow, and of course Toyota reliability. The build quality is ridiculous. 8 years old and no rattles or squeaks. Almost feels like a convertible with the windows down, the tailgate window down, and the sunroof open. I paid a lot more than I would have for a 2000 Explorer, but compare it to a new 4Runner and it's a no-brainer. Will go forever.

Favorite Features

Manual tranny (please bring it back), power rear tailgate window (WHY has no other manufacturer adopted this?!--my dog can't live without it!), adjustable lumbar support, easy highway cruising, 17-21 mpg, all-weather/ go-anywhere capability, reliability, and build quality - this is one TIGHT truck.

Suggested Improvements

While the gas mileage is good for this kind of vehicle, it needs a bigger tank. That's it! I've got 67K on mine and plan on driving it for another ten years. Best vehicle I have ever owned, hands down, and I have owned many vehicles.