2000 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Good, but overpriced.
By pmn on 09/02/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this for 5 years and overall it has been reliable, although it once failed to start at -15 degrees, died on the interstate for five minutes, and misc things have broken. Off road capability is excellent. MPG is poor considering size and modest power, ride is pretty rough, terrible in a cross wind, and overall comfort is below average. Not nearly enough enough power to comfortably tow what it claims. Paid a premium price due to reputation for reliability, and for the most part has not disappointed there. But resale today isn't all that great. For my actual cost out of pocket I could have driven a significantly nicer (and larger) vehicle the past 5 years.

Versatility and Value. Will last 4ever.
By PD on 04/04/08 21:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Why spend 13 grand on a 2000 Toyota? There's simply no vehicle out there like it. Incredibly versatile. 4 door, 4wd, V6, manual tranny (i might look at a new one if they still offered the stick), decent gas mileage (way better than the Jeep I used to drive), composed on the highway, QUIET for an SUV, really comfortable sport seats, laughs at the snow, and of course Toyota reliability. The build quality is ridiculous. 8 years old and no rattles or squeaks. Almost feels like a convertible with the windows down, the tailgate window down, and the sunroof open. I paid a lot more than I would have for a 2000 Explorer, but compare it to a new 4Runner and it's a no-brainer. Will go forever.

I love this car!
By Veronica on 02/07/08 22:13 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this car for almost eight years. I have never, ever had a problem. I just take it in for regular oil changes and have done the 30K, 60K, and 90K maintenance. The only flaws in this car are cosmetic and were my own doing. I live in Oklahoma and have driven it to Las Vegas, New Orleans, the Texas coast, Rocky mountains in Colorado, and back and forth to Kansas hundreds of times. The fuel economy is reasonable given the size of the vehicle. I will have a hard time giving her up.

8 years and going strong
By toyotofan on 02/02/08 10:29 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000 and never had a problem with it except when I had to replace the battery in the keyless remote. Oh, and when the car battery (finally) died a few months ago (it lasted almost 8 years!!). Great if you really need 4WD and road clearance. I put it in 4WD daily on our mountain road. We love our 4Runner. My husband wants to buy me a new vehicle, but I'm not ready to give this one up! Conservative dash, no bling. Boring stereo, cd player skips on curves and mountain roads.

Reliable, just wish it had more hp
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 08:25 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I traded in an older 4Runner for this one back in 2001. If you're looking for a reliable SUV, this is the one. It's well built. The only issue I've had is the infamous Maine road salt has required a fix of the parking brake. It offers some great features and is a true off-road SUV. It will get you there and back again in style.

Toyota's Best
By George Suggs on 09/29/07 22:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a very reliable and enjoyable car for us. We've towed over 5000 lbs of payload... had to replace disk brakes, but no other problems. A very well made vehicle.

Over 100,000 miles and no rattles
By NOLA lady on 09/22/06 08:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is the most dependable vehicle I've ever driven. When we evacuated NOLA during Hurricane Katrina, we left the vehicle parked in our driveway (we evacuated in my husband's newer model 4-Runner). Mine sat in over a foot of water for at least a week and was hit by flying debris (probably part of our roof). When I started it up three weeks later, the engine turned right over; I was one of the only people on my street who just got in the car and drove it away. Since then, we've dealt with canyon-sized NOLA pot- holes, street debris, and true off- road conditions every day. Not a problem. She has cosmetic battle scars, but not a single rattle. 113,000 miles and going strong.

Best car I have ever owned
By Ivan on 08/29/06 13:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

6 years old and 69K miles with no problems. Great car, powerful and reliable. very roomy. All I had to do was change the tires and replace a lightbulb. This car will run forever.

Bought it new and still love it
By jo on 08/05/06 15:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We have over 175000 miles on and off paved roads including many miles of Los Angeles freeway stop and go driving. Replaced the brake pads/rotors ONCE and have had another $350 repair at about 150K. About the same time the antenna motor stopped working. That's it besides regular service. We will have to replace the clutch at some point but that's because I'm hard on them.

Runna
By clarkj5 on 06/13/06 17:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love it! I've wanted a 4Runner for 10 years, Now I have one and it was worth the wait. Love the off road capabilities and styling.