Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Back to a Toyota
By Carl

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 2000 4Runner XR5 in 2009 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. After "experimenting" with a Ford Expedition (Junk) and Chevy Suburban (actually not a bad vehicle), I am glad to be back to Toyota. Styling is timeless and it runs like a top. My only complaint is that it is underpowered. Although it has a 5000 lb tow rating, it labors to pull my 2,500 lb boat, especially going up hills. Other than that, it has been a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Everything is easy to access (except oil filter and drain plug) so maintenance is easy. Cargo cover, sunroof, folding rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Space to put things in between front seats. More power. Easier access to oil filter and drain plug.

Best Car
By pumasoccer3

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I have trusted it and it broke down once because of a starter that i did not change which is suppose to be changed every 10 years. And since then i haven't had a problem great car. Going to give it to my 16 year old.

Favorite Features

I love how reliable it is. I am never scared it has never broke down only one time when i forgot to change the battery. But i love the 4wd!

Love my 4Runner, but ...
By DebbyEva

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 4Runner new and have loved it. It has been so reliable, great in snow and safe! I really want another 4Runner, but have waited 10 years for Toyota to improve the gas mileage on current models. Sadly, I give up.

It Still Works But Required Work
By Wayne

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2003 as a carpool car that could handle the NE winter, and ski trips to VT. It had Toyota 2nd hand warranty. 2 immediate problems: car stalled when accelerator punched (once on the Whitestone Bridge!), and parking gear did not engage (almost rolled off of a cliff!). Both were dangerous and the dealer only ID'd the second problem (both had numerous complaints). At 140,000 miles: paint job failing on rear hatch (no fix), bumper rusted out ($1000+ at dealer), replaced air sensor twice ($450 each at dealer) and inside tire rod ends ($70 at non- dealer part store).

Favorite Features

Seems pretty durable, and will probably keep it until 200k. Looked nice when I bought it. Now considered a beat up version of the car you let your nanny drive, and I will keep it running with non-Toyota parts (to save the money). Obviously something is wrong with Toyota paints.

Suggested Improvements

Improve durability of Toyota paint. Never buy a chrome bumper car unless you live in the desert. Once you are out of the warranty period, never get your car serviced at a Toyota dealer. I save routinely 45% for any item I get fixed.

Runs better than a Timex!
By Mell

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my 4Runner for 7yrs. I have 193,000 miles on it with no reason to believe I won't get another 100,000. It has only been in the shop for normal maintenance and a check engine light that keeps coming on for a few weeks and then goes off. Can't find the reason so I'm not worrying about it. I don't like how it drives in the snow. 4WD get's me up my steep driveway but doesn't help me stop on slippery roads. Getting about 16 mpg and the small tank means I'm always at the gas station. Very comfortable on long drives and cargo space galore. My dogs love the electric rear window and so do I. It's the main reason I bought it. Hardly any rust either. Great SUV! Not too big -- not too small.

Favorite Features

Electric rear window!!Don't understand why everyone doesn't have this feature. Very comfortable heated leather seats. Tons of cargo space and roomy back seat. Lack of repairs is a huge plus!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank, better mpg.