Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2000 SR5...11 years running
By kimbey2009

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used with 106,000 on it back in 2006. So 5 years later I now have 226,000 miles on it and still pretty satisfied with the overall performance. The few complaints would be 1) brake pads/rotor replaced 3 times in 5 years 2) the uneasiness of driving with high winds swirling thus causing the SUV to sway 3) fuel filter replaced 2 times 4) rear axle replaced 3 times 5) power antenna went out 2 times but radio still plays...other than those complaints it has been mechanically sound and I wouldn't doubt it going for another 100,000 miles.

cargo space-mechanically sound

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power.

Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.

2000 4 runner sr5 2wd
By matt riley

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this truck about 3 years ago, Because it was roomy and looked nice I had no idea I would love this truck like I do. It runs great not bad on gas, Only problem I have is the center cap with an S in the middle is gone can't find one any where,other than that I will never buy anything else but a 4 runner, Maybe a 4wd next I think the 2010 is the best looking SUV on the road, other than mine, though in the ran sometimes the back end is a little slippery but nothing you cant handle. I would point anyone in to buying 1, Great family car, Great daddy truck. Go and buy 1.

Dependable, roomy, rear window is awesome, it's quick, and I use it like a truck and it works

use center caps that can be found, need more owners

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Reliability, all weather use, nice- looking car, lots of cargo space

Better gas mileage - not horrible, but not the car we use for lots of highway driving.

Solid, reliable, well built SUV
By Dominic

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 00' Limited 4x4 Runner with 111,000 miles. Everyone said "why would you buy a car with that many miles?" blah blah blah, I knew better. I've had it for 4 years now, has 171,000 miles and runs like new, haven't had a single repair. I've done routine maintenance - oil changes, a tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel filter) and new front brakes. ZERO repairs, it always starts, cold does not bother it. When I need to go off-road or in the snow it's an animal, and with the rear locker that Jeep people wish they had, it's basically unstoppable.

RELIABILITY, seats are extremely comfortable, sunroof, roll down back window, off-road prowess, did I mention lack of repairs and money spent? I just drive the thing!

Wish it got a little better gas mileage and had a little more power, but really it's adequate