2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Love my 4Runner, but ...
By DebbyEva on 06/06/10 21:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 4Runner new and have loved it. It has been so reliable, great in snow and safe! I really want another 4Runner, but have waited 10 years for Toyota to improve the gas mileage on current models. Sadly, I give up.

It Still Works But Required Work
By Wayne on 05/08/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2003 as a carpool car that could handle the NE winter, and ski trips to VT. It had Toyota 2nd hand warranty. 2 immediate problems: car stalled when accelerator punched (once on the Whitestone Bridge!), and parking gear did not engage (almost rolled off of a cliff!). Both were dangerous and the dealer only ID'd the second problem (both had numerous complaints). At 140,000 miles: paint job failing on rear hatch (no fix), bumper rusted out ($1000+ at dealer), replaced air sensor twice ($450 each at dealer) and inside tire rod ends ($70 at non- dealer part store).

Runs better than a Timex!
By Mell on 03/08/10 19:31 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my 4Runner for 7yrs. I have 193,000 miles on it with no reason to believe I won't get another 100,000. It has only been in the shop for normal maintenance and a check engine light that keeps coming on for a few weeks and then goes off. Can't find the reason so I'm not worrying about it. I don't like how it drives in the snow. 4WD get's me up my steep driveway but doesn't help me stop on slippery roads. Getting about 16 mpg and the small tank means I'm always at the gas station. Very comfortable on long drives and cargo space galore. My dogs love the electric rear window and so do I. It's the main reason I bought it. Hardly any rust either. Great SUV! Not too big -- not too small.

At 160,000 miles and still going strong!
By Going on 160,000. on 02/06/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We own 1 car and we have nothing go wrong. We just started to have to replace parts. It's cheaper than buying a new car. It still looks as good as the 1st day we got it.

150K and still running strong
By Greg on 01/01/10 13:40 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new and now have 150k on it. I follow the factory maintenance to the letter. I have done two repairs. One was the power antenna ($100), the other was a dirty fuel filter ($500). Supposedly these have lifetime fuel filters installed inside the gas tank but with all the dirty gas being sold I don't think there is such a thing as lifetime filter. Other than that it has been a great SUV. Loves the snow and gets about 18mpg. The OEM front brakes lasted forever...125k and still had 20% left! Still have the back ones.

Reliable
By Chad on 11/23/09 20:00 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I have owned my 4runner for 6yrs and have 167,000 miles on it and have done nothing but regular maintenance. It is a little under powered but very reliable. I have been on several trails in Moab and in the Black Hills of SD, (great 4wd system) I have the Sport package with the electronic locker in the rear diff. Toyota has built a very reliable and dependable vehicle with this one.

Be sure before you buy
By Jay on 07/27/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my runner about 2 months, but there is lots for me to say. I love my runner, but it lets me down ALL the time. I bought it with 128,000, it currently has 132,000, and in that short time I have done: Rear axle repair (leaking oil) both sides, rear and front brakes, new rotors ($1100 bucks) New tires Michelin LTX All Terrains (4) $800, flywheel cracked, $735, started went out, $220. I bought it for $6400 bucks and have now put in over 2 grand. If you buy one and I recommend you do, buy a good well maintained one, because if you don't you can end up like me, up to your neck in repair bills. RECOMMENDATION: Buy one that is a one owner well cared for car.

2000 LTD 4WD 4Runner
By gknuck on 01/03/09 15:23 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our second 4Runner. The first was a 1990 SR5 with 167,000 miles on it. We sold it when we moved to Florida. Kept the 2000 model and it's got 90,000 miles on it now and still runs like new. We bought it used with 21,000 miles on it in 2002. It's been a great vehicle just like the 90 was. Wished we hadn't sold the 90 4Runner now. We bought it with 70,000 miles on it (90 4Runner). We're currently looking to buy another one for a second car. Most likely another 2000 or 2001.

Runs Like a Tank
By Tim on 10/17/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4runner since 2002 and have taken it on several cross country trips. It now has over 130,000 miles on it and it has never let me down. I have also taken down the beaches in Mexico and I find myself pulling others out. The only thing other than routine maintenance like a timing belt was I had to replace the starter once. It performs well both on and off road and it cannot be beat for reliability. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

4 Runner Transmission Problems
By Ken on 10/10/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Car was a great car until about 70K. Had a couple little issues. One is a rattle that we have been unable to solve somewhere in Dash. Car is slightly underpowered. V6 strains over those hills when you get any kind of steep roads like Flagstaff, AZ or mountains west of Denver, Etc. Shutting overdrive off helps immensely. At 81K would not come out of 4 wheel drive. Replaced 4x4 actuator in transfer case ($1500). At 90K same problem, dealer says it needs a whole new transfer case costing ($3700). This will now become a 2wd 4 runner until its sold. I am told by dealer Toyota will do nothing. Very disappointed in the quality. Any car that u have major stuff before 120K is a sub par.