Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

Favorite Features

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

Suggested Improvements

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.

2000 4 runner sr5 2wd
By matt riley

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this truck about 3 years ago, Because it was roomy and looked nice I had no idea I would love this truck like I do. It runs great not bad on gas, Only problem I have is the center cap with an S in the middle is gone can't find one any where,other than that I will never buy anything else but a 4 runner, Maybe a 4wd next I think the 2010 is the best looking SUV on the road, other than mine, though in the ran sometimes the back end is a little slippery but nothing you cant handle. I would point anyone in to buying 1, Great family car, Great daddy truck. Go and buy 1.

Favorite Features

Dependable, roomy, rear window is awesome, it's quick, and I use it like a truck and it works

Suggested Improvements

use center caps that can be found, need more owners

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Reliability, all weather use, nice- looking car, lots of cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage - not horrible, but not the car we use for lots of highway driving.

Solid, reliable, well built SUV
By Dominic

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 00' Limited 4x4 Runner with 111,000 miles. Everyone said "why would you buy a car with that many miles?" blah blah blah, I knew better. I've had it for 4 years now, has 171,000 miles and runs like new, haven't had a single repair. I've done routine maintenance - oil changes, a tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel filter) and new front brakes. ZERO repairs, it always starts, cold does not bother it. When I need to go off-road or in the snow it's an animal, and with the rear locker that Jeep people wish they had, it's basically unstoppable.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY, seats are extremely comfortable, sunroof, roll down back window, off-road prowess, did I mention lack of repairs and money spent? I just drive the thing!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it got a little better gas mileage and had a little more power, but really it's adequate

Best buy ever!
By ToyotaLover

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Toyota 4runner in 2000 and it runs the same as it did when i got it. I feel so safe in that car.Only problem that it as is that is is a gas guzzler. I don't like the hassle with putting it in four wheel drive. This car is like a tank i got rear ended once and i had a little dent and the car that hit it was totaled! The second time nothing happened and the car that it me had a huge hole in it from the trailer hitch. I have the SR5 with the sports package and i have 110,000 miles and this car is the best car i have ever had!!

Favorite Features

The height and the sturdiness.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroofs wind guard.