Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Best reliability out there

Best I've ever owned
By Mike S

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my girl from 6 miles, drove her till she had 233,245 miles. It kills me that she had to be scrapped due to the frame rotting out. I found out this is a known problem. I'm infuriated that this is a known issue that was not taken care of by Toyota. I loved that car and loved everything about it. I know this may sound ridiculous, but I am saddened every time I see another one on the road. I miss my 4Runner.

Nothing else was wrong with my girl other then the frame rotting out. Interior looked new, exterior still shined, and she was a tank in the snow. I never worried about the weather because I knew she would always get me home. I have no doubt that she could have hit at least 300,000 miles with normal maintenance.

Gone but never forgotten.

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power.

Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Reliability, all weather use, nice- looking car, lots of cargo space

Better gas mileage - not horrible, but not the car we use for lots of highway driving.

Best buy ever!
By ToyotaLover

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Toyota 4runner in 2000 and it runs the same as it did when i got it. I feel so safe in that car.Only problem that it as is that is is a gas guzzler. I don't like the hassle with putting it in four wheel drive. This car is like a tank i got rear ended once and i had a little dent and the car that hit it was totaled! The second time nothing happened and the car that it me had a huge hole in it from the trailer hitch. I have the SR5 with the sports package and i have 110,000 miles and this car is the best car i have ever had!!

The height and the sturdiness.

The sunroofs wind guard.