Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best I've ever owned
By Mike S

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my girl from 6 miles, drove her till she had 233,245 miles. It kills me that she had to be scrapped due to the frame rotting out. I found out this is a known problem. I'm infuriated that this is a known issue that was not taken care of by Toyota. I loved that car and loved everything about it. I know this may sound ridiculous, but I am saddened every time I see another one on the road. I miss my 4Runner.

Nothing else was wrong with my girl other then the frame rotting out. Interior looked new, exterior still shined, and she was a tank in the snow. I never worried about the weather because I knew she would always get me home. I have no doubt that she could have hit at least 300,000 miles with normal maintenance.

Gone but never forgotten.

Great
By d-dub

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I got this suv with 180k on it and I plan on having it for a long time! It is very reliable and great for those snowy Colorado winters. I also use it to haul my atv. Perfect for what I need. It is a second car so I should have it for years to come. Lots of DIY support online if you want to maintain it yourself. It is not overly complicated like newer vehicles out there but it will last much longer.

My Baby
By David Cordera

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

The best car I have ever owned. Superior off-road performance and pleasurable highway driving. I will keep it until the wheels fall off.

So VERY SAD
By 3dogdaze

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I am so very sad! I am facing the worst decision of my life. I have owned my 4 runner for over 12 years, and am having to give it up with ONLY 134000 mile on her. The FRAME and rear differential are totally rusted out. I expected to own my girl for another 100k miles @ LEAST! This is a known problem with the 4 runners and I am not able to afford the cost of repairs. Toyota will you fix my girl??? I love everything about her, and it is breaking my heart to have to scrap her because of FAULTY steel from over seas.

I loved everything about her!

Help those that still own their 4 runners fix them! I would love to have my girl fixed, BUT the FRAME is RUSTED thru! How is that a good product????? Some People invest in a vehicle, and do not expect it to just ROT AWAY!

v6 sr5 4x4
By jenkjo

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I have a 2000 toyota 4runner sr5 4x4 with a 3.4l v6 and a four speed automatic transmission. it has just over 200k miles and other than a starter, the driver's seat angle adjustment lever, and a CV joint, it has had no problems yet. Mine has a 3 inch rough country suspension lift, increasing the already impressive ground clearance. the interior is very solid and comfortable, despite having slightly outdated styling. it isn't very fast, but has plenty enough power for daily use. it also has a surprisingly high amount of torque. it goes through just about any obstacle you can put it through. the fuel mileage isn't great, but that's a small price to pay for a vehicle this good!

I would consider the locking rear differential and the impressive ground clearance two of the best features on this vehicle. But the reliability and simplicity are two awesome aspects as well.

The only improvements I would have recommended for this vehicle are a wider variety of engine packages and an optional solid front axle.