2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Best SUV ever
By toyoglide on 10/23/14 13:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the 4runner when it had 70k miles on it. Have done a lot of long distance driving and now have 397k on the suv. Have only done normal maintenance. No valve jobs or other major procedures. Recently replaced igniter, plugs, and fuel injectors and it runs good as ever. Had Michelin LTX tires on it and got 150k miles on one set. This is an amazing vehicle and is built to last. I am sure I can get to 500k miles. Engine is not overly powerful but not a big issue. You can also chew through brake rotors quickly if you are heavy on the brake. Overall I love this suv.

My 4 Runner rules
By mike777 on 01/30/14 21:27 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4 runner in 06 with 117 K on it , it was a 1 owner trade in with all service receipts ( lots of them) all service performed by the book by Toyota , (main reason I bought it) that and the reviews by owners. It has proven to be the best most reliable vehicle I've owned to date. I currently have 350K on it with no major or minor problems, I do my own service /maintenence, no breakdowns, everything still works, and I have the LTD with power everything! all I can say is wow, pretty much original everything. runs like a swiss watch. still drives like new and looks close to new. made in Japan with top quality parts, seriously whose alternator lasts 350,00 miles,500K here I come

Best vehicle I have ever owned!
By fmcpherson on 08/12/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I purchased my 2000 4Runner in 2009. At the time it had 100,000 miles on it. Now, at 148,000 miles it is still running strong. Other than routine maintenance and a couple of small repairs, I have had nothing go wrong. I use this truck to haul a boat, as a daily commuting vehicle and it has never failed me. The styling is timeless and, although the ride is a bit rough at times, it is comfortable and very quite. I get about 17-18 mpg around town and 20-21 on the highway - not bad for a SUV. My only gripe is the small gas tank. I can only get about 225-240 miles between fill-ups.

2000 SR5...11 years running
By kimbey2009 on 12/30/11 21:51 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used with 106,000 on it back in 2006. So 5 years later I now have 226,000 miles on it and still pretty satisfied with the overall performance. The few complaints would be 1) brake pads/rotor replaced 3 times in 5 years 2) the uneasiness of driving with high winds swirling thus causing the SUV to sway 3) fuel filter replaced 2 times 4) rear axle replaced 3 times 5) power antenna went out 2 times but radio still plays...other than those complaints it has been mechanically sound and I wouldn't doubt it going for another 100,000 miles.

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

2000 4 runner sr5 2wd
By matt riley on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this truck about 3 years ago, Because it was roomy and looked nice I had no idea I would love this truck like I do. It runs great not bad on gas, Only problem I have is the center cap with an S in the middle is gone can't find one any where,other than that I will never buy anything else but a 4 runner, Maybe a 4wd next I think the 2010 is the best looking SUV on the road, other than mine, though in the ran sometimes the back end is a little slippery but nothing you cant handle. I would point anyone in to buying 1, Great family car, Great daddy truck. Go and buy 1.

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Solid, reliable, well built SUV
By Dominic on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 00' Limited 4x4 Runner with 111,000 miles. Everyone said "why would you buy a car with that many miles?" blah blah blah, I knew better. I've had it for 4 years now, has 171,000 miles and runs like new, haven't had a single repair. I've done routine maintenance - oil changes, a tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel filter) and new front brakes. ZERO repairs, it always starts, cold does not bother it. When I need to go off-road or in the snow it's an animal, and with the rear locker that Jeep people wish they had, it's basically unstoppable.

Best buy ever!
By ToyotaLover on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Toyota 4runner in 2000 and it runs the same as it did when i got it. I feel so safe in that car.Only problem that it as is that is is a gas guzzler. I don't like the hassle with putting it in four wheel drive. This car is like a tank i got rear ended once and i had a little dent and the car that hit it was totaled! The second time nothing happened and the car that it me had a huge hole in it from the trailer hitch. I have the SR5 with the sports package and i have 110,000 miles and this car is the best car i have ever had!!

Back to a Toyota
By Carl on 07/27/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 2000 4Runner XR5 in 2009 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. After "experimenting" with a Ford Expedition (Junk) and Chevy Suburban (actually not a bad vehicle), I am glad to be back to Toyota. Styling is timeless and it runs like a top. My only complaint is that it is underpowered. Although it has a 5000 lb tow rating, it labors to pull my 2,500 lb boat, especially going up hills. Other than that, it has been a great vehicle.