2000 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Best buy ever!
By ToyotaLover on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Toyota 4runner in 2000 and it runs the same as it did when i got it. I feel so safe in that car.Only problem that it as is that is is a gas guzzler. I don't like the hassle with putting it in four wheel drive. This car is like a tank i got rear ended once and i had a little dent and the car that hit it was totaled! The second time nothing happened and the car that it me had a huge hole in it from the trailer hitch. I have the SR5 with the sports package and i have 110,000 miles and this car is the best car i have ever had!!

Back to a Toyota
By Carl on 07/27/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 2000 4Runner XR5 in 2009 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. After "experimenting" with a Ford Expedition (Junk) and Chevy Suburban (actually not a bad vehicle), I am glad to be back to Toyota. Styling is timeless and it runs like a top. My only complaint is that it is underpowered. Although it has a 5000 lb tow rating, it labors to pull my 2,500 lb boat, especially going up hills. Other than that, it has been a great vehicle.

Love my 4Runner, but ...
By DebbyEva on 06/06/10 21:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 4Runner new and have loved it. It has been so reliable, great in snow and safe! I really want another 4Runner, but have waited 10 years for Toyota to improve the gas mileage on current models. Sadly, I give up.

It Still Works But Required Work
By Wayne on 05/08/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2003 as a carpool car that could handle the NE winter, and ski trips to VT. It had Toyota 2nd hand warranty. 2 immediate problems: car stalled when accelerator punched (once on the Whitestone Bridge!), and parking gear did not engage (almost rolled off of a cliff!). Both were dangerous and the dealer only ID'd the second problem (both had numerous complaints). At 140,000 miles: paint job failing on rear hatch (no fix), bumper rusted out ($1000+ at dealer), replaced air sensor twice ($450 each at dealer) and inside tire rod ends ($70 at non- dealer part store).

At 160,000 miles and still going strong!
By Going on 160,000. on 02/06/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We own 1 car and we have nothing go wrong. We just started to have to replace parts. It's cheaper than buying a new car. It still looks as good as the 1st day we got it.

Be sure before you buy
By Jay on 07/27/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my runner about 2 months, but there is lots for me to say. I love my runner, but it lets me down ALL the time. I bought it with 128,000, it currently has 132,000, and in that short time I have done: Rear axle repair (leaking oil) both sides, rear and front brakes, new rotors ($1100 bucks) New tires Michelin LTX All Terrains (4) $800, flywheel cracked, $735, started went out, $220. I bought it for $6400 bucks and have now put in over 2 grand. If you buy one and I recommend you do, buy a good well maintained one, because if you don't you can end up like me, up to your neck in repair bills. RECOMMENDATION: Buy one that is a one owner well cared for car.

Runs Like a Tank
By Tim on 10/17/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4runner since 2002 and have taken it on several cross country trips. It now has over 130,000 miles on it and it has never let me down. I have also taken down the beaches in Mexico and I find myself pulling others out. The only thing other than routine maintenance like a timing belt was I had to replace the starter once. It performs well both on and off road and it cannot be beat for reliability. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Good, but overpriced.
By pmn on 09/02/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this for 5 years and overall it has been reliable, although it once failed to start at -15 degrees, died on the interstate for five minutes, and misc things have broken. Off road capability is excellent. MPG is poor considering size and modest power, ride is pretty rough, terrible in a cross wind, and overall comfort is below average. Not nearly enough enough power to comfortably tow what it claims. Paid a premium price due to reputation for reliability, and for the most part has not disappointed there. But resale today isn't all that great. For my actual cost out of pocket I could have driven a significantly nicer (and larger) vehicle the past 5 years.