Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

Favorite Features

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

Suggested Improvements

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Reliability, all weather use, nice- looking car, lots of cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage - not horrible, but not the car we use for lots of highway driving.

Best buy ever!
By ToyotaLover

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Toyota 4runner in 2000 and it runs the same as it did when i got it. I feel so safe in that car.Only problem that it as is that is is a gas guzzler. I don't like the hassle with putting it in four wheel drive. This car is like a tank i got rear ended once and i had a little dent and the car that hit it was totaled! The second time nothing happened and the car that it me had a huge hole in it from the trailer hitch. I have the SR5 with the sports package and i have 110,000 miles and this car is the best car i have ever had!!

Favorite Features

The height and the sturdiness.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroofs wind guard.

Back to a Toyota
By Carl

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 2000 4Runner XR5 in 2009 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. After "experimenting" with a Ford Expedition (Junk) and Chevy Suburban (actually not a bad vehicle), I am glad to be back to Toyota. Styling is timeless and it runs like a top. My only complaint is that it is underpowered. Although it has a 5000 lb tow rating, it labors to pull my 2,500 lb boat, especially going up hills. Other than that, it has been a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Everything is easy to access (except oil filter and drain plug) so maintenance is easy. Cargo cover, sunroof, folding rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Space to put things in between front seats. More power. Easier access to oil filter and drain plug.

Love my 4Runner, but ...
By DebbyEva

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 4Runner new and have loved it. It has been so reliable, great in snow and safe! I really want another 4Runner, but have waited 10 years for Toyota to improve the gas mileage on current models. Sadly, I give up.