Used 2000 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

So VERY SAD
By 3dogdaze

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I am so very sad! I am facing the worst decision of my life. I have owned my 4 runner for over 12 years, and am having to give it up with ONLY 134000 mile on her. The FRAME and rear differential are totally rusted out. I expected to own my girl for another 100k miles @ LEAST! This is a known problem with the 4 runners and I am not able to afford the cost of repairs. Toyota will you fix my girl??? I love everything about her, and it is breaking my heart to have to scrap her because of FAULTY steel from over seas.

I loved everything about her!

Help those that still own their 4 runners fix them! I would love to have my girl fixed, BUT the FRAME is RUSTED thru! How is that a good product????? Some People invest in a vehicle, and do not expect it to just ROT AWAY!

v6 sr5 4x4
By jenkjo

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I have a 2000 toyota 4runner sr5 4x4 with a 3.4l v6 and a four speed automatic transmission. it has just over 200k miles and other than a starter, the driver's seat angle adjustment lever, and a CV joint, it has had no problems yet. Mine has a 3 inch rough country suspension lift, increasing the already impressive ground clearance. the interior is very solid and comfortable, despite having slightly outdated styling. it isn't very fast, but has plenty enough power for daily use. it also has a surprisingly high amount of torque. it goes through just about any obstacle you can put it through. the fuel mileage isn't great, but that's a small price to pay for a vehicle this good!

I would consider the locking rear differential and the impressive ground clearance two of the best features on this vehicle. But the reliability and simplicity are two awesome aspects as well.

The only improvements I would have recommended for this vehicle are a wider variety of engine packages and an optional solid front axle.

Best vehicle ever
By cpstaxes

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I purchased my vehicle on October of 2000, BRAND NEW with only 5 miles on it. After 14 years, is still with 93726 miles !!GREAT!!! Always has been taken care of, services up to date and no complaints about it. Only minor repairs, nothing to worry about. Still drives like new. IF I had to buy a new SUV, definitely will be a 4Runner.

Best SUV ever
By toyoglide

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the 4runner when it had 70k miles on it. Have done a lot of long distance driving and now have 397k on the suv. Have only done normal maintenance. No valve jobs or other major procedures. Recently replaced igniter, plugs, and fuel injectors and it runs good as ever. Had Michelin LTX tires on it and got 150k miles on one set. This is an amazing vehicle and is built to last. I am sure I can get to 500k miles. Engine is not overly powerful but not a big issue. You can also chew through brake rotors quickly if you are heavy on the brake. Overall I love this suv.

Like high elevation while driving, easy in and out of seat for tall person, vehicle still looks nice even though now 14 years old.

Higher horsepower engine, heavier duty brakes and rotors.

My 4 Runner rules
By mike777

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4 runner in 06 with 117 K on it , it was a 1 owner trade in with all service receipts ( lots of them) all service performed by the book by Toyota , (main reason I bought it) that and the reviews by owners. It has proven to be the best most reliable vehicle I've owned to date. I currently have 350K on it with no major or minor problems, I do my own service /maintenence, no breakdowns, everything still works, and I have the LTD with power everything! all I can say is wow, pretty much original everything. runs like a swiss watch. still drives like new and looks close to new. made in Japan with top quality parts, seriously whose alternator lasts 350,00 miles,500K here I come

Locking differential for 4X4, good a/c and heat