2000 Toyota 4Runner Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

v6 sr5 4x4
By jenkjo

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I have a 2000 toyota 4runner sr5 4x4 with a 3.4l v6 and a four speed automatic transmission. it has just over 200k miles and other than a starter, the driver's seat angle adjustment lever, and a CV joint, it has had no problems yet. Mine has a 3 inch rough country suspension lift, increasing the already impressive ground clearance. the interior is very solid and comfortable, despite having slightly outdated styling. it isn't very fast, but has plenty enough power for daily use. it also has a surprisingly high amount of torque. it goes through just about any obstacle you can put it through. the fuel mileage isn't great, but that's a small price to pay for a vehicle this good!

Favorite Features

I would consider the locking rear differential and the impressive ground clearance two of the best features on this vehicle. But the reliability and simplicity are two awesome aspects as well.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I would have recommended for this vehicle are a wider variety of engine packages and an optional solid front axle.

Best vehicle ever
By cpstaxes

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I purchased my vehicle on October of 2000, BRAND NEW with only 5 miles on it. After 14 years, is still with 93726 miles !!GREAT!!! Always has been taken care of, services up to date and no complaints about it. Only minor repairs, nothing to worry about. Still drives like new. IF I had to buy a new SUV, definitely will be a 4Runner.

Best SUV ever
By toyoglide

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the 4runner when it had 70k miles on it. Have done a lot of long distance driving and now have 397k on the suv. Have only done normal maintenance. No valve jobs or other major procedures. Recently replaced igniter, plugs, and fuel injectors and it runs good as ever. Had Michelin LTX tires on it and got 150k miles on one set. This is an amazing vehicle and is built to last. I am sure I can get to 500k miles. Engine is not overly powerful but not a big issue. You can also chew through brake rotors quickly if you are heavy on the brake. Overall I love this suv.

Favorite Features

Like high elevation while driving, easy in and out of seat for tall person, vehicle still looks nice even though now 14 years old.

Suggested Improvements

Higher horsepower engine, heavier duty brakes and rotors.

My 4 Runner rules
By mike777

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4 runner in 06 with 117 K on it , it was a 1 owner trade in with all service receipts ( lots of them) all service performed by the book by Toyota , (main reason I bought it) that and the reviews by owners. It has proven to be the best most reliable vehicle I've owned to date. I currently have 350K on it with no major or minor problems, I do my own service /maintenence, no breakdowns, everything still works, and I have the LTD with power everything! all I can say is wow, pretty much original everything. runs like a swiss watch. still drives like new and looks close to new. made in Japan with top quality parts, seriously whose alternator lasts 350,00 miles,500K here I come

Favorite Features

Locking differential for 4X4, good a/c and heat

Best vehicle I have ever owned!
By fmcpherson

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I purchased my 2000 4Runner in 2009. At the time it had 100,000 miles on it. Now, at 148,000 miles it is still running strong. Other than routine maintenance and a couple of small repairs, I have had nothing go wrong. I use this truck to haul a boat, as a daily commuting vehicle and it has never failed me. The styling is timeless and, although the ride is a bit rough at times, it is comfortable and very quite. I get about 17-18 mpg around town and 20-21 on the highway - not bad for a SUV. My only gripe is the small gas tank. I can only get about 225-240 miles between fill-ups.

Favorite Features

Quality!!!! Comfortable seats, quiet interior, towing capacity for a V-6, and style.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank.

2000 SR5...11 years running
By kimbey2009

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used with 106,000 on it back in 2006. So 5 years later I now have 226,000 miles on it and still pretty satisfied with the overall performance. The few complaints would be 1) brake pads/rotor replaced 3 times in 5 years 2) the uneasiness of driving with high winds swirling thus causing the SUV to sway 3) fuel filter replaced 2 times 4) rear axle replaced 3 times 5) power antenna went out 2 times but radio still plays...other than those complaints it has been mechanically sound and I wouldn't doubt it going for another 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

cargo space-mechanically sound

Love/Hate my 4Runner
By Love/hate my 4Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had mine 11 years and 120,000 miles. Today its in the shop having a squeaky clutch pedal replaced for the second time at $300 a pop. That said, the manual transmission is the only way to go with this vehicle. As long as I am not towing anything, I feel I have adequate power. Like another reviewer noted, the check engine light comes on sporadically for no apparent reason. If you're not diligent and ask lots of questions, less respectable repair shops will try to pin it on the most expensive thing they can; I always get a second opinion on this one. Today, they are also looking into a cruise control and dash clock that only work sporadically; who knows why.

Favorite Features

All the troubles aside, I've loved this vehicle. I've got off-road tires on it and it drives like a truck as it should. It gets me to the mountain in Winter and light off-roading in the Summer with excellent 4WD capabilities. If you don't need these capabilities then you may not like it as much.

Suggested Improvements

The gas tank Range is abysmal. It's made worse by a tank that doesn't want to accept the last 3 gallons of gas. I know others have had the problem; Toyota should come up with a fix.

2000 4 runner sr5 2wd
By matt riley

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this truck about 3 years ago, Because it was roomy and looked nice I had no idea I would love this truck like I do. It runs great not bad on gas, Only problem I have is the center cap with an S in the middle is gone can't find one any where,other than that I will never buy anything else but a 4 runner, Maybe a 4wd next I think the 2010 is the best looking SUV on the road, other than mine, though in the ran sometimes the back end is a little slippery but nothing you cant handle. I would point anyone in to buying 1, Great family car, Great daddy truck. Go and buy 1.

Favorite Features

Dependable, roomy, rear window is awesome, it's quick, and I use it like a truck and it works

Suggested Improvements

use center caps that can be found, need more owners

7 years later, still running!
By T's Runner

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used right after college as a single person, now it's converted great for car seats, strollers, etc. Has performed excellent during the worst snow storms, and is a great car for beach trips. Cleans up well, low maintenance, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Reliability, all weather use, nice- looking car, lots of cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage - not horrible, but not the car we use for lots of highway driving.

Solid, reliable, well built SUV
By Dominic

2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 00' Limited 4x4 Runner with 111,000 miles. Everyone said "why would you buy a car with that many miles?" blah blah blah, I knew better. I've had it for 4 years now, has 171,000 miles and runs like new, haven't had a single repair. I've done routine maintenance - oil changes, a tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel filter) and new front brakes. ZERO repairs, it always starts, cold does not bother it. When I need to go off-road or in the snow it's an animal, and with the rear locker that Jeep people wish they had, it's basically unstoppable.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY, seats are extremely comfortable, sunroof, roll down back window, off-road prowess, did I mention lack of repairs and money spent? I just drive the thing!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it got a little better gas mileage and had a little more power, but really it's adequate