1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Great truck!

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Review

Great truck!
By John O. on

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second 4Runner, and again I'm not disappointed. Like my first (a 1997) it is a bit underpowered. Outside of that I have no complaints! I still get compliments even though it is 11 years old. The vehicle is fun to drive, handles great in all weather, and even 11 years old there is no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise. Michigan is known to use excessive salt, and yet the only rust on the vehicle is on the trailer hitch. Mine doesn't have many miles (69,000) as of this writing, but the ONLY things replaced so far since new have been one set of tires and a malfunctioning key fob. If you can find a low mileage 4Runner cheap, you won't be disappointed!

- Toyota reliability (in spite of recent recalls on newer models!). - Rugged good looks - high ground clearance. - Large tires / wheels...same size as my Dad's 2005 Yukon. - "Limited" model comes loaded with pretty much everything. - Reasonable to insure.

- Stereo system has great sound, but could use a bit more bass. - Either more power or better gas mileage...seems a bit thirsty given the motor is a small but adequate V6 (newer models now offer V8). - It's built on a truck frame, and I'm being picky, but it seems the ride could be a bit smoother.