Best SUV I have owned
By Tavy on
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought a '99 4WD SR5 in 12/02. Since then almost 30k miles later, it has been trouble-free. I added fender flares, and have noticed much less road debris on the sides since I put them on. I also added acc fog lights which much improved highway visibility when I can't put high-beams on. Wish I had leather, and you can't add power seats to an SR5, so finding used leather replacements is near impossible. Only complaint is rear end slide in any light rain. As far as fun-to-drive and reliability, I love this truck and would by another.
Favorite Features
Very capable 4WD in heavy, wet, east- coast snow. Styling, lots of cargo room, roof rack with bars that cross the roof from left to right (unlike lots of SUV's out there.) I can go pretty much anywhere I want in foul weather(as long as 4WD is on :)
Suggested Improvements
More power (fixed in '03+ models), power seat option on SR5, better rear shocks (they are starting to show signs of sagging at 62k miles.) Rear- differential lock should be standard on all models (sliding sideways trying to turn from a standstill is no fun)