Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Reliablity galore!
By Joe D, Philadelphia

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the '99 used in 2004. I've been driving for almost 2 years now and no problems! (clock wire is loose, no biggie). Still has great pickup, especially in 1st and 2nd gears! 4WD is great in the snow. One of the best riding/reliable vehicles I've ever owned. This sucker will run to 200k miles without a doubt (currently only at 60k).

Reliablitity, decent body style for an SUV. Comfortable and responsive. NO MAINTENANCE BILLS!!!

make it easier to put the back seats down

Barry's review
By Barry

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Highly reliable and fun to drive. Solid performance.

Power of the engine. Comfortable ride for a truck. Commanding height. Excellent handling in the snow and ice.

Outside styling. Better mileage.

4WD Limited
By Acraig

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the 4Runner new in November 1998. Now have 93,000 miles on it. Required a new starter at 65,000 miles but no other problems at all. All the bells and whistles still work as new. Typical exceptional Toyota reliability, comforable on the the road yet very capable off road. I like the styling of the 99 better than the new models.

Dual mode 4 wheel drive, push button all wheel drive mode for around town snow or ice, locking 4 hi and low mode for off road. Automatic climate control.

Gas mileage is 18 mpg around town, but it's a heavy vehicle.

Yota convert
By DougT.

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

1999 4Runner SR5 (2WD, 3.4 V6) bought less than six months ago with 95k miles on it. When I test drove it I could not believe how tight (new feeling) everything was for a six year old vehicle with close to a 100k miles on it. The only problems were the power antena didn't work (broken mast, easy fix) and the starter tended to stick. Being a paranoid person, I put it in the shop on day one of owning it to have a complete tune up of all systems as well as a new timing belt, starter, and water pump (since they were at it anyway when replacing the timing belt) I've driven it an additional 10,000 miles since buying it with not a single problem. So far it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

#1 Reliability, #2 Appearance, #3 Quality, #4 My five year old son thinks it's the coolest, #5 My wife is afraid to drive it ("too big") so it's all mine!!!

Not many because this was a well planned vehicle. The MPG is around 19 highway but common it's a pretty big vehicle with only 180 or so horses. I guess it could have a larger gas tank for less fill ups. Get rid of timing belts completely (I don't care about engine noise) and give me a chain.

Overall Good SUV
By Mandi

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for over 1 1/2 years and overall it's very safe, reliable and dependable. I don't like that it has not much get up and go without taking a second to think about it first. Also, have had to replace rotors 2x now and working on the third. For some reason had strange wear on tires that were put on 9 mo ago and all rotors and tires need to be replaced again to feel stable. Had an accident in it and let me tell you, this is one SAFE car. I'm glad I trusted my life in this car. VERY safe in winter.

I love the roll down back window and the moon roof, I love that it's kinda compact (not really wide) and that it's really safe/sturdy feeling. Ability to add bigger tire on to see over snowbanks with.

I would have preferred more powerful, but this is to be expected out of an SUV. I like the get up and go of a car, but the height of an SUV to see over cars/snowbanks with.

• SUV