Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

160k and still going
By 4 runner

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle. I have driven 160k on 2 sets of tires, original battery and original timing belt.

Interior space could be a bit larger.

Loved it
By Wild_man

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is by far the best car I have ever owned.

very comfortable awesome off road

more power

4Runner 4work and 4play
By Roger

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner used in '01. I had a field service job for the last 4 years that required I use my own vehicle, so I've spent a lot of time in it, in all kinds of weather. It now has 162,000 miles, and going strong. Outside of normal maintenance items, only failures I've had is the starter and Mass Air Flow sensor. The brakes didn't have to be replaced until 125,000 miles. I love the comfortable ride on the road and off. I've done some camping/fishing trips in Canada on some pretty rough roads, and it handled them with ease. I've heard that it's not uncommon for 4Runners to reach 250,000 without major overhauls, planning on keeping it as long as it keeps running.

Comfortable seats and ride, moonroof, 6 disc changer, heated mirrors,auto up/down windows, headlights turn off when door is opened, can't lock doors when keys are in ignition, consistently get 20 MPG which is pretty good for SUV, keyless remote opens rear window, Toyota reliablilty.

Rear seats difficult to fold down/up, rear heat for backseat passengers, but no rear AC, cigarette lighter ports only work when key is turned on, full time 4WD only available on Limited.

Awesome
By JeffS

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the car in 04 to upgrade from my Tacoma (needed more room inside). Very happy with the car. No maintenance cost, goes anywhere, I've driven it through 2-3 feet of snow w/ no problems, just keeps going. Overall, I think it's a very good choice.

Bulletproof 4x4, sliding rear glass

Rocks
By Eric

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

The ride is rough but that's the ONLY negative. GREAT car. Always works and is totally versatile.

Suspension contol...lower and softer or higher and harder