1999 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Excellent Vehicle
By Vegas4Runner on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Awesome SUV. I am amazed with the driveability & handling. What makes it so impressive is that you can drive it as if it was sedan - smooth, quiet, and comfortable OR like a truck - torque and 4WD, when you need it. The only negative is the gas mileage. I have found that if I drive it light and smooth, I am able to get about 260 miles/tank. However, if I drive it heavier, I'll be lucky to get 210 miles out of a full tank. Let's just say that the 4runner has taught me to become a more patient & relaxed driver, which is a good thing I suppose. Additionally, although I haven't tried towing anything yet, I feel that the power is quite plentiful.

Great Vehicle!!
By Steakbelly on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This 4Runner is a blast to drive! An incredibly smooth ride, and of all the '99's, 2000's and 2001's I test drove (Pathfinders, Explorers and this 4Runner), this was BY-FAR the best driving car. Managed to get a FULL warranty on this '99, even though it had a lot of milage (85K). Looking forward to years of enjoyment with this SUV!

sweet car!
By bill joe jim bob! on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

i love this car!!!

great 4runner
By 4runner on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

i love toyota. the 4runner has excellent handling on and off road. i'll never buy anything other than a 4runner.

Love this Car!
By NatalieCallista on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

We ended up getting this car during our hunt for an economical vehicle. Style and dependability won out and we ended up with the 4runner. Now we are still going to buy a hybrid, but we love this car. It drives great and I still feel in control. My last car was a Mercedes 560 SL, so I am used to a lot of power, but this car works like a dream, and will keep on kicking for many years to come.

none
By keesh on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

good over all. can't really complain it. is expensive, but reliable.

Great SUV ! P.S. Looking at 2003 now ..
By ourdogmax1 on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 3rd Toyota, 1st 4Runner, and previously owned a 94 Toyota 4WD Pickup. I have driven it in most conditions now, excluding deep snow. The ride is quiet and vehicle handles good. The 6 disc CD changer is a must. The back seats do not fold all the way down? The back window up and down control on the dash is nice having a dog. My biggest complaint is the lack of power from the 3.4L V6, fixed in 03', and the rear seats that dont fold all the way flat. I have enjoyed this vehicle so much I am now looking at the new 2003 4Runner.

Roll-over rate
By Philip DelVecchio on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My 4Runner rolled over in two separate accidents in moderate inclement weather; both times sedan-style cars drove through the same conditions right in front of me with no problems. The problem with their AWD is you must disengage it above 60 mph - makes it tedious to constantly be turning it on and off unlike other models that have AWD all-the-time. Be careful with this vehicle - can be a death trap.

Love My 4Runner Sport Edition
By Paul Anderson on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

My wife and I have had our 1999 4Runner SR5 Sport Edition for 4 years. It has been an absolutely flawless vehicle. I don't know who J.D. Powers is talking too to give it such poor reliability ratings. The only thing our 4Runner has been in the shop for is it's normal oil changes every 6,000 miles. The fuel mileage averages around 20 mpg, which is fabulous for a 6 cylinder SUV that sees mostly city driving. Our next SUV will most definitely be a Toyota, probably a Sequoia due to the larger size.

Alternative Fuel?
By Scotch on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Bought my 4Runner Saturday, and have been looking for excuses to run around town since. But am very nervous after watching the gas gauge. Right now I'm estimating 12.5 mpg. Has anyone been keeping tabs on their gas mileage? I want to know if this is of the norm, or need to get it checked out. I know it's an SUV, but reports rate it at 19/21 mpg.