Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Rocks
By Eric

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

The ride is rough but that's the ONLY negative. GREAT car. Always works and is totally versatile.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension contol...lower and softer or higher and harder

7 Year old vehicle outperform some 06 's
By Alonso Valenzuela

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Offroad capabilty: excellent it only needs a back up camera and GPS in your dash and you are ready to have serious fun. Onroad driving: marvelous, like a medium sedan. MPG: poor, but it's worth every penny I spent. I installed Bi-xenon and looks awesome, besides it turns day light, great headlight design. Sound: Just add sub-woofers and the premium sound system does the rest. The last name of Toyota is "reliability".

Favorite Features

4x4 engage system it really works. Great ground clearance. 2 auxiliary 12v outlets besides the cigarrete lighter.

Suggested Improvements

3.3 vvit engine like Sienna's great MPG adjustable rear suspension. Factory installed Winch

Still a great vehicle
By DougT

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I posted a review back in November of last year after owning my 4Runner for six months. It's been four months since and I have nothing new to say other than this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned it for ten months now and it still blows my mind at how well this thing was made. It's now seven years old with over 110k miles on it and everything is functioning fine. I love the 4Runner more and more each day. I got it for a really good price when I bought it and worry that I'll never find another deal like it on my next Toyota (which is what I'm sticking with). Those Japanese designers have their stuff together thats for sure.

Favorite Features

Ever had every window (including the rear window) down on a warm day driving down a country road playing "Free Falling" by Tom Petty? It's a great Jerry McQuire moment. Oh what a feeling....TOYOTA!! Yes, I really like Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Like I said in my previous post I'd like to complain about the gas mileage but again, look at the 3.4 liter V6 engine and how big and heavy this sucker is. No complaints at all.

Excellent Ride!
By jtr903

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Toyota 4Runner since 1999. I have used it in blizzards, sandy beaches and it has never let me down. Althought I have low milage and ti give an example of the quality parts used when building thew truck, I have never replaced the brakes, I have tuned it only one time and only kept it in normal maintance. Its a very smooth ride, one I will never get rid of!

Favorite Features

What can I say its the vehicle itself!

Suggested Improvements

I have none for the perfect vehicle.

Sleeper
By Dave

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

This is my 4th Toyota and may prove to be the best vehicle I have ever, or will ever own. Make no mistake, this is a light truck chassis. It rides and handles like a box on frame pick up truck. I had to replace the starter motor right after the warranty ran out. Irritating, but that's the only problem the thing has ever had. A service at 78K miles indicated that the original brake pads and shoes were only 40% worn, and I drive hard. It would be a fine family hauler with its stock 180 or so horsepower as long as you don't mind the truck like ride. I added a TRD Supercharger and Exhaust System which has made a huge difference when entering the freeway.

Favorite Features

With the back seats down, you have the equivalent of a 6' bed. It's amazing what you can fit in the thing. The electric rear window on the tailgate is a nice feature (I don't know whay more SUV's don't have that).

Suggested Improvements

None come to mind.