1999 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
my 4runner
By jtate on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Excellent suv with low depreciation

5 years and still like new
By NYYanks23 on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new in 8/99 and have put 60k on it so far w/o so much as one problem. I change the oil every 3k and just changed the original tires and brakes. I like it so much that I bought my wife a new Z71 Tahoe just so I could get it for my everyday ride! The Z71 is a great truck but just does not have the fit and finish of the 'yoda. This thing seems that it will run forever and I have no plans to get rid of it. It was worth every dime.

Another Lemon
By Capt512 on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second 4Runner I have bought in about 10 years, the first was a 96 which i bought new as a base 4x4 model, and it was a horrible lemon, clutch replaced 4 times by 30,000 miles. Smoke, all kinds of problems. I then bought a Tahoe, and loved it, but my wife couldn't drive it because of size. So i sold it and bought this 99 4Runner Limited 4x4, this one had 60,000 miles on it, and is just as big a piece of junk, the emergency brake light keeps flashing, the truck doesn't idle right in the cold, it smokes, the tranny jerks when put in gear, bad brakes, etc. Wouldn't buy another unless it was one of the new designed 4runners with the V8s.

Bought 1999 in 2003
By rileykins28 on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1999 Limited 4WD in 2003. I went to the dealership looking to buy a new 4runner, and couldn't bring myself to pay $35,000 for the newer model after driving the 1999.I bought a certified used 4runner and purchased the extended 100,000 warranty. I only had one problem mechanically with this vehicle and it was totally covered under the extended warranty. Since purchasing and seeing all the new 4runners, I wanted to trade just for the new body style, but can't get the comfortable feeling like I have in the 1999. Overall I love this vehicle, but will try another dealership next time.

Toyota 4 Runner
By CRHanner on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Great Auto!! My favorite so far!!

00 4 runner
By ikw on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

Strong reliable truck. It is built to last.

Watch out for the weather!
By sbuttaz58 on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car daily but beware in wintery, icy, and wet conditions! If this car is not in 4WD it may be the worst on the road. I have had two accidents one I slid on ice going very slow on the highway and the other a person slid in snow into me (I tell you this one bc ironically it was a 99 4-Runner). In regular conditions and straight snow it is great, but any thing else, it will slide all over!

1999 4 runner SR5 4WD
By mako_man73 on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Since I bought this SUV in 1999 I have had NO problems with it. I change the oil every 3K and it runs like the day I bought it. In 70+K miles I only changed the front brakes once. I did have to replace the catalitic converters because Jiffy Lube F-uped a fuel injector clening service but they were covered by warranty. now I only take it to the dealer for service.

99 Toyota 4 Runner Limited 4WD
By joni in seattle on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The vehicle has met and surpassed my expectations. Purchased new it has had no mechanical problems up to the current 55,000. It is comfortable, classy looking and flexible enough to serve as a passenger car, a "pick-up" for larger loads and yet small enough to fit in most spots. This is a fantastic car!

4 Runner for Reliability
By Tamela on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

great for long trips, vehicle is heavy and holds to the road well. In town it is a little cumbersome to handle because of it's size, I wish the interior was just a little larger. If you are looking for gas mileage the 4 runner would not be for you. Comfort is great and I will continue to own one for the reliability.