1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great vehicle to own & drive.!!
By Madscot on 11/25/04 10:58 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this 4 runner for 8 months now & have enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. This is the perfect vehicle for me as I love to camp/fish,etc so there's plenty of room for all sorts of equipment. (I've only used the roof rack once.) This vehicle performs great on mountain roads,on dirt tracks & in wet/snowy conditions, giving confidence to the driver. Very dependable too, I've had no problems thus far with just basic "do it yourself" maintenance. In my humble opinion,you could do a lot worse than buying a Toyota 4 Runner.

1999 Toyota 4-Runner Std
By HarleyRider on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I leased this suv new in '99 and wound up buying it. Got stuck with Toyota's wonderful 5yr lease and racked up the miles. Anyway, its been a great truck. All I've really done is keep up on regular schedualed maintenance. The design is nice. The power rear window is great for dogs. It handles a lot better with larger tires then the stock 225/70's it came with. It runs great and I still get compliments about its design and looks. It's an excellent in- town vehicle.

Decent, but Overrated SUV
By workinonjunk on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 79K mi. on my 4Runner and it's been somewhat reliable, but not what I was expecting from a Japanese vehicle. The MAF sensor had to be replaced at 65K and I've had to replace the front brake rotors several times due to warping. The seats are horrible on long road trips as there's no thigh support at all. The rear suspension is too soft and it wallows and pitche with even one person in the back seat. Replacing the springs/shocks with an aftermarket set VASTLY improved the handling/ride. Acceleration is OK but highway passing could be better. The ground clearance and 31" tires are great. Fuel economy is OK for an SUV-21mpg highway.

One of the best vehicles owned
By 4Runner lover on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best vehicles I have owned. The SUV looks awesome, the relibility is top notch and it's a very comfortable family cruiser which handles the road very well whether it's in the city or on the highway. The climate control in this vehicle works extremely well.

Best SUV I have owned
By Tavy on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a '99 4WD SR5 in 12/02. Since then almost 30k miles later, it has been trouble-free. I added fender flares, and have noticed much less road debris on the sides since I put them on. I also added acc fog lights which much improved highway visibility when I can't put high-beams on. Wish I had leather, and you can't add power seats to an SR5, so finding used leather replacements is near impossible. Only complaint is rear end slide in any light rain. As far as fun-to-drive and reliability, I love this truck and would by another.

Top Performer SUV
By Trekker on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 4-Runner used in 2003, and a year later, not a single problem with it. Very comfortable and I feel safe in it. Lots of room and great classic look of the 4-Runner. The only thing I have issues with is the engine is too weak for the SUV's heavy load.

Great Car
By Marianne on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

The car is reliable, sturdy and uses regular gasoline. Easy to handle.

Put the
By jacaputo on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The thing I love about my 4Runner is that is drives more like a sports car than an SUV. It has tight, responsive suspension and steering.

Looks and Reliability
By tekparasite on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I bought my 99’ 4Runner for two reasons: 1) Looks and Reliability. I bought it with 160 miles from a dealership. 115,000 miles later, I am not disappointed. All the maintenance I have done to this truck is change the oil (every 7K miles). I haven’t had ANY problems with it. This truck was build to last. Engine is solid with respect to reliability.

Reliable SUV
By Erica B on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

4Runner is a beautiful car. It's enough room for five people, but small enough to take places without it being a hassle, in comparison to these oversized SUVS such as the Expedition or Suburban.