1999 Toyota 4Runner Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Spontaneous Combustion
By Houston, TX

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car new and took great care of it. With 85K miles on it, an electrical fire started behind the dashboard (probably inside the instrument cluster) causing massive damage. All wiring was factory and no work had been done on the electrical system. Otherwise I really enjoyed the car until it caught fire on me.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical safety.

Great vehicle to own & drive.!!
By Madscot

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this 4 runner for 8 months now & have enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. This is the perfect vehicle for me as I love to camp/fish,etc so there's plenty of room for all sorts of equipment. (I've only used the roof rack once.) This vehicle performs great on mountain roads,on dirt tracks & in wet/snowy conditions, giving confidence to the driver. Very dependable too, I've had no problems thus far with just basic "do it yourself" maintenance. In my humble opinion,you could do a lot worse than buying a Toyota 4 Runner.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior, large mirrors & higher ride for observation, responsive a/c & heater, on command 4WD & overall Toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

If Toyota could improve the mpg I think this vehicle would be even more attractive to consumers.

1999 Toyota 4-Runner Std
By HarleyRider

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I leased this suv new in '99 and wound up buying it. Got stuck with Toyota's wonderful 5yr lease and racked up the miles. Anyway, its been a great truck. All I've really done is keep up on regular schedualed maintenance. The design is nice. The power rear window is great for dogs. It handles a lot better with larger tires then the stock 225/70's it came with. It runs great and I still get compliments about its design and looks. It's an excellent in- town vehicle.

Favorite Features

Rugged style. Ground clearance. Power rear window. Reliability. Overall handling and stability for an SUV. Ease of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage is dismal for a 4-cyl. Not much highway power. Accessories are still overpriced. During highway driving on cruise control transmission has to downshift going up minor hills to keep up the speed.

Decent, but Overrated SUV
By workinonjunk

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 79K mi. on my 4Runner and it's been somewhat reliable, but not what I was expecting from a Japanese vehicle. The MAF sensor had to be replaced at 65K and I've had to replace the front brake rotors several times due to warping. The seats are horrible on long road trips as there's no thigh support at all. The rear suspension is too soft and it wallows and pitche with even one person in the back seat. Replacing the springs/shocks with an aftermarket set VASTLY improved the handling/ride. Acceleration is OK but highway passing could be better. The ground clearance and 31" tires are great. Fuel economy is OK for an SUV-21mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, ground clearance, fit & finish, cargo room, resale value

Suggested Improvements

Better seats!! Stiffer rear suspension. Redesign front brake rotors. Needs a larger engine. Selectable,lockable 4WD should be available with a manual transmission. Frame-mounted body protection instead of the fragile body- mounted running boards.

One of the best vehicles owned
By 4Runner lover

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best vehicles I have owned. The SUV looks awesome, the relibility is top notch and it's a very comfortable family cruiser which handles the road very well whether it's in the city or on the highway. The climate control in this vehicle works extremely well.

Favorite Features

Reliability! Looks, comfort, handling (smooth ride) and the fact that it's a very practical vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

More power, which has been resolved in the newer models.

Best SUV I have owned
By Tavy

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a '99 4WD SR5 in 12/02. Since then almost 30k miles later, it has been trouble-free. I added fender flares, and have noticed much less road debris on the sides since I put them on. I also added acc fog lights which much improved highway visibility when I can't put high-beams on. Wish I had leather, and you can't add power seats to an SR5, so finding used leather replacements is near impossible. Only complaint is rear end slide in any light rain. As far as fun-to-drive and reliability, I love this truck and would by another.

Favorite Features

Very capable 4WD in heavy, wet, east- coast snow. Styling, lots of cargo room, roof rack with bars that cross the roof from left to right (unlike lots of SUV's out there.) I can go pretty much anywhere I want in foul weather(as long as 4WD is on :)

Suggested Improvements

More power (fixed in '03+ models), power seat option on SR5, better rear shocks (they are starting to show signs of sagging at 62k miles.) Rear- differential lock should be standard on all models (sliding sideways trying to turn from a standstill is no fun)

Top Performer SUV
By Trekker

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 4-Runner used in 2003, and a year later, not a single problem with it. Very comfortable and I feel safe in it. Lots of room and great classic look of the 4-Runner. The only thing I have issues with is the engine is too weak for the SUV's heavy load.

Favorite Features

Exterior Look Dang good A/C Reliability is top notch

Suggested Improvements

Strong engine (need at least 250-300 hp)

Great Car
By Marianne

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

The car is reliable, sturdy and uses regular gasoline. Easy to handle.

Favorite Features

easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

The rear window is a pain. I can be opened by accidentally triggering the remote control on the key, but to close it again, you actually have to get into the car and start the engine.

Put the
By jacaputo

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The thing I love about my 4Runner is that is drives more like a sports car than an SUV. It has tight, responsive suspension and steering.

Favorite Features

Sporty handling. Power rear window - my dogs love it!

Suggested Improvements

It has a toyota interior... could be much more ergonomic. I should have gotten the leather, although the cloth seats have held up very well. Also, needs more power, which they have already changed on the new models.

Looks and Reliability
By tekparasite

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I bought my 99í 4Runner for two reasons: 1) Looks and Reliability. I bought it with 160 miles from a dealership. 115,000 miles later, I am not disappointed. All the maintenance I have done to this truck is change the oil (every 7K miles). I havenít had ANY problems with it. This truck was build to last. Engine is solid with respect to reliability.

Favorite Features

Looks and Reliability

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower please!!! and better fuel economy.