4Runner 4work and 4play
By Roger on
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought my 4Runner used in '01. I had a field service job for the last 4 years that required I use my own vehicle, so I've spent a lot of time in it, in all kinds of weather. It now has 162,000 miles, and going strong. Outside of normal maintenance items, only failures I've had is the starter and Mass Air Flow sensor. The brakes didn't have to be replaced until 125,000 miles. I love the comfortable ride on the road and off. I've done some camping/fishing trips in Canada on some pretty rough roads, and it handled them with ease. I've heard that it's not uncommon for 4Runners to reach 250,000 without major overhauls, planning on keeping it as long as it keeps running.
Favorite Features
Comfortable seats and ride, moonroof, 6 disc changer, heated mirrors,auto up/down windows, headlights turn off when door is opened, can't lock doors when keys are in ignition, consistently get 20 MPG which is pretty good for SUV, keyless remote opens rear window, Toyota reliablilty.
Suggested Improvements
Rear seats difficult to fold down/up, rear heat for backseat passengers, but no rear AC, cigarette lighter ports only work when key is turned on, full time 4WD only available on Limited.